Stop leak for heater core leak?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stop leak for heater core leak??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
alaksaboy

Stop leak for heater core leak??

I must have a small leak in my heater core as steam will come out of the defrost and the floor board under the heater is slightly wet. Anybody have success with the radiator stop leak? Did you use one bottle or two?
Thanks

alaksaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
tolcu79
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have used this stuff on a few separate occasions. If the leak is small enough it will stop it. On the other hand if the leak is as bad as you say it is I know that I would just go ahead and change it out. I know that is not what you want to hear but just my honest opinion. If you decide to use the stop leak type stuff, get the kind that you have to drain the antifreeze and run only water to use, (much better than the regular pour in stuff). I know that most mechanics view this type of fix as temporary.
tolcu79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the heater core. You'll save yourself frustration.
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Wranglerguy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Change it. You'll have to sooner or later anyway.
Wranglerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's not hard in a Jeep... change it out as everyone else suggested. One day you are going to have coolant all over the inside of your Jeep and your engine will be overheating.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

After you use it and IF it stops the leak it will only do that for well who knpows before the leak starts again....usually at the worst possible time you will have to go ahead and replace the heater core.....now what do you do with the plugged radiator?

That stuff should be called radiator stop flow. It was invented for crooked used car dealers to move inventory without spending any large $$$ to do so IMHO.
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have to use a sealer, use Alumnaseal or Silverseal...try a half a container first, a little goes a long way..DONT use two...you'll rue the day, it's really effective stuff...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So.....I know this is a really old thread, but i have to ask.....what do you do if the previous owner put a few (more than 2) tubes of stop leak in there? ...my buddy is having this problem right now. Thermostat was plugged up, heater core is plugged up...there was even a glob on the back of the radiator cap....WOW..... is there an easy solution to clean all that crap out so that the heater will work again?
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

flush, back flush, flush again. run it for a while with flushing solvent in it then flush it again.

worst case you are looking at a new rad and heater core but make sure the block is all cleaned out first or you will be back in it again.

while you are at it do a compression test. the PO might have been trying to hide a bad head gasket.

good luck.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your question, no I have never had any success with any type of stop leak. Just replace the leaky part like these said. It's the only way to be sure.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
To answer your question, no I have never had any success with any type of stop leak. Just replace the leaky part like these said. It's the only way to be sure.
I agree. he stuff is supposed to clog up leaks in a rad or heater core.

If your system is old enough to have leaks spring in it, it is also partially glogged no doubt. Stop leak may not fix the problem but it will add to the 'gloggage' IMHO.

BTW Old timers used to use cinnamon or ground black pepper to 'fix' leaky radiators. I saw (actually smelled) a rad leak that was temporarily repaired (small leak that is) using cinnamon.....smelled pretty good also!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
BTW Old timers used to use cinnamon or ground black pepper to 'fix' leaky radiators. I saw (actually smelled) a rad leak that was temporarily repaired (small leak that is) using cinnamon.....smelled pretty good also!
I heard of some people putting a raw egg in then running the motor?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I heard of some people putting a raw egg in then running the motor?
I have heard of that one also but I would not trust any 'stop leak' goo in my cooling system. And, if it is good enough to plug up a leaky rad or heater core, it might be good enough to plug up a water passage in a head or block or another section of the rad or heater core that is already narrowed out by crud from age.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
Unread 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy put some alumnaseal in his truck in about november to fix the same issue and it worked for about a week and was leaking again. Last week I helped him change the heater core which was fun, it was an 03 dodge ram and everything had to come out even the steering column had to be dropped. when we got it out the hole was only about the size of a pin... I think id just change it and not run the risk on clogging passages for something thats only a temp fix. You can always bypass the heater core until you have the time to do it.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
flush, back flush, flush again. run it for a while with flushing solvent in it then flush it again.

worst case you are looking at a new rad and heater core but make sure the block is all cleaned out first or you will be back in it again.

while you are at it do a compression test. the PO might have been trying to hide a bad head gasket.

good luck.
Thanks. I'll go down to the parts store after work and grab another one of those plastic T's so that I can back flush the radiator too...what type of solvent works best?
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.