StockLook To Built (Someday) Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > StockLook To Built (Someday) Build

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

StockLook To Built (Someday) Build

Well I figured its finally time to start a build. Definitely going to be a long process so mostly doing this to keep track of when things were done.

First Off, when I acquired the jeep in spring of 08 the first thing I did was put on a 4wd hardware 2 inch suspension lift. This was how it sat after that. Sorry no prior pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next thing I did was regear to 4:10's, no pictures of this but if anyone has any questions would be more than happy to help. Yes I know the dana 35 is crap, but for now on 31's, its fine with an open carrier. BTW, My dad and I have done all of this work. He is a mechanic and has owned his own shop for 20+ years. This was a sweet upgrade from the 3:07's. I did this in the spring of 2010.
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next step was to get a winch. I went with the smittybilt Xrc 8000lb winch. I mounted it to the harbor freight winch plate. The only modification I had to do was cut two notches for the factory tow hooks. I was able to mount the plate with these bolts and retain the hooks.

Here it is all finished

Here are the notches I cut

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is how far past the frame rails the plate went. It is only about an inch so I decided it was easier not to cut it. It doesn't bother me so that is how it will stay for good.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, here is how much room there was between fenders and the back lip of the plate.

Unread 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next step was to get a winch. I went with the smittybilt Xrc 8000lb winch. I mounted it to the harbor freight winch plate. The only modification I had to do was cut two notches for the factory tow hooks. I was able to mount the plate with these bolts and retain the hooks.

Here it is all finished

Here are the notches I cut

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is how far past the frame rails the plate went. It is only about an inch so I decided it was easier not to cut it. It doesn't bother me so that is how it will stay for good.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, here is how much room there was between fenders and the back lip of the plate.

Completed this in July of 2010
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I get many questions about my speaker setup so here it all is.

Pioneer deck about $140 for christmas in '06'

[IMG][/IMG]

New Speakers for Christmas in '09' here is the front installed. BTW these are a pain to get to. Involves folding the windshield down and unbolting the entire dash. $50 for front pair.

Here is my homemade soundbar. It is made out of Pine, then wrapped in Vinyl which I sewed on my moms machine. The light was $8, supplies for soundbar totaled $30, and speakers cost $100. The speakers were my same present for christmas in '09'

[IMG][/IMG]

In February of '10' I bought an amp from a local shop and it was a shelf model. I paid $200 for it and included all of installation equipment and free installation.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally made a cover for it to keep it dry and more importantly hidden from those who might want it more than me.

Still plan on getting a sub and it will be on the passenger side, same placement as the amp. (yes they do make subs that thin that sound good)

I can make a custom box for it as well. I'm good with woodworking but have no welding skills unfortunately. If someone in southern oregon ever wants to swap woodworking for welding, I would be happy to help.
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finally a couple odds and ends. I created a trunk box for when the top is off in the summer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Put a shovel through the front bumper tube. I first taped pipe insulation around it in two spots so it fit snuggly into the tube. I then drilled a small hole through the handle and ran a wire through it and the winch plate. This made sure the shovel will never slide out.

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
NineohsevenYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good so far!
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks awesome! good luck with the build!
1989 YJ Candy apple Green, D30front, 8.8rear, 4:10's, Lock right front, 4"RC springs rear, 3.5"BDS springs front, SYE with double cardian shaft custom made, home made rockers, 33" goodyear mtr/k, smittybilt stinger, home made light bar, marine stereo, cobreau baja jp seats
JakeMurray24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMurray24 View Post
looks awesome! good luck with the build!
Thanks, not too much planned really for awhile as far as anything major. I did put on a smittybilt rear bumper and tire carrier today, but the fuel tank still needs to go back in and waiting for new lines. (replacing them while they are out since they had small cracks. When I get it all back together tomorrow I'll post some pics.

I might be inheriting a yota axle and dana 44 set up with arb's, 4.88's, and wheels and 37's. Also has hydro assist. If this ends up happening I'm going spring over with all the necessary equipment to go spring over. Until then, will be small things. Still want to wire the winch to in cab controls.
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
College94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good start. What size tires do you have there?
College94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They are 31/10.5/15
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing else done to the Jeep. I'm in college so thats the reason for the slow build. But Being In college I decided I needed to make an appropriate end table for my house. Figured I might as well share on here. If only cars needed more things built out of wood Id be as built as I wanted lol

Beer compartment on the bottom (since I keep my house at 50 degrees I hardly have to worry about refrigerating too lol)
[IMG][/IMG]

and the beer cap top. 225 caps in all. Only took one term to get those too. Considering we drink mostly cans thats an accomplishment lol

Just have to varnish and paint black with yellow lettering in the routered out "EMERGENCY BEER". Anyone want to trade some woodworking for welding? lol
Unread 12-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Your build looks awesome so far. I am really amazed at that sound bar. I kind of want to take my stock one out and start refurbishing it. The Rockford fosgate's have been abused and since I have a hardtop now I won't mind putting quality speakers in there.

The beer table is cool too. Don't worry, when you get out of college you'll progress to good beers way beyond Natty and Keystone They were my choice of beers due to price while in school as well

Anyway you can give some plans or more insight to the sound bar? I wouldn't mind making that a Winter project since I could make it inside and I'm all up for sewing it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are definitely some good microbrew beers if you look at the caps. But i know what u mean on cheap lol. I get all the close dated stuff from the local beer distributor, at 6 bucks for a 24 pack u can't beat it. Sometimes you find some good microbrews in there too for 10 bucks a 24 pack.

Anyways, here is a little diagram I put together. As far as measurements I couldn't tell you because I just went out to the jeep and started longer then I needed. I continued to cut down until it fit like i wanted it. As far as material I went to Home Depot and bought a 12" wide (measures out to 11 1/4") by whatever length needed (probably at least 8 feet) and 1 inch thick (which measures out to 3/4" thick) pine board. Be sure to sort through the wood and look down it. It can't have any bows or twists in it.

If this diagram doesn't make sense sorry, I could see if I could come up with something better so let me know. Also, measurements really depend on your speakers and what you think looks good.

Good Luck

By the way, that diagram doesn't show that I also cut holes in the top of the soundbar too allow the magnets room without making to thick of a soundbar. I realize this hurts the sound quality, but it still sounds great so I'm not too concerned. Also, I didn't cover the top since I have a full bikini top in the summer. it is covered year round and you can't see it anyways.
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't been able to do anything to the jeep lately as far as a build due to school. Enjoying some wheeling on the weekends though. Taking a photography class (need some humanities credits... don't judge) and figured I might as well post some up. Naturally I've gone with the jeep, or shots out wheeling every week. People in my class wonder how i get where i do I just look at it as an excuse to go four wheeling and take pictures.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.