Stock / rustbelt jeep. Money to spend. Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock / rustbelt jeep. Money to spend. Advice?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
jerius
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stock / rustbelt jeep. Money to spend. Advice?

So I've got a 1995 YJ 2.5L (manual) that I picked up on the super cheap about a year ago, and I've been driving it very minimally. I've now got up to $3500 I am willing to put into it immediately, and I'm looking for advice on the best way forward. Also it is not my daily driver. (maybe someday!)

(Looking back now, I probably should have held out for something with less rust and paid a bit more, but I've always been saying I wanted to learn how to restore vehicles... so I'm in for the long haul on this one. )

Main issues:

On the body, the rear corners, rear fenders, and rocker panels all need to be replaced. Steel replacements on quadratec look fairly cheap for these, as long as you are replacing them yourself. The rear end of the frame needs some attention as well. The issue is I'm in an apartment with no garage or welding equipment to speak of, nor do I know anyone currently with this equipment. I am currently looking for someone local (jeeper or not) though that could help out and show me the way, so hopefully that pans out. (I'm in Lansing, MI btw, and down to pay in food/beer or some cash )

I really don't want to pay a shop to do the work. Both because it's super expensive, and also I would like to learn.

Main goals:

1. Fix major rust issues. (body, frame)
2. Lift (suspension is saggy / rusty)
3. Wheels / tires (would like to go for 33")
4. Rear bumper needs replacing
5. Brakes overhaul
6. General maintenance issues. (lube, seals, hoses, pulleys, fluids, etc.)

My experience:

Mostly oil, brakes, wheel bearings, spark plugs, and exhaust. Lots of light maintenance or fixes, but I've never torn down an engine or replaced suspension components. But, I am excited to learn!

Between myself and my friends, I have access to most basic auto tools.

Questions:

For the money, are my goals realistic assuming I find someone local with tools / experience? I want to fix the major issues first, but my thinking is that if I need to replace things like the suspension anyways, I might as well do a lift and not spend money twice.

For lift, the consensus seems to be make-your-own kit, and I see lots of recommendations for OME. Recommendations for the best mix to get on 33's?

I'm new to jeep tires, and there looks like a fair number of decent ones to choose from. Is that Pro Comp deal linked below worth it, or should I build my own from something else? I do need both rims and tires. It's not my DD, and I would like to do a lot of offroading once it's in better shape, so I was thinking of doing MTs.

Thoughts? ->http://www.quadratec.com/products/92609_210X_P5_PG.htm

I've been a lurker here for awhile, and I'm looking forward to participating more and getting to know some fellow jeepers. I'll make sure to start a build thread!

Thanks for taking a look!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.