1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisnvegas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Still stalls when hot. Out of ideas

'90 YJ, 4.2L, Nuttered, TFI Ignition Upgrade

I have been chasing a stalling issue for several months now, and am at my wits end. I can be driving at normal highway speeds, and it just stalls. Like it's run out of fuel. I can let it sit for a while and it starts back up and I am on my way. For a while. Then it stalls again, and again. It only does it when the engine gets warm. Or, now that the temps are over 100˚ here, as soon as I start driving. I've had to get a tow home from work three times in the last month.

Here is the list of everything that has been replaced in the last 12 weeks.

Fuel Pump
Coil
Cap/Rotor
Ignition Pickup Coil
Wires
Plugs
Ignition Control Module
Coolant Temperature Sensor

What else can it be? I feel like it's an electrical issue, but that is something that I am not familiar with. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Where are you? (I wish people filled in their locations)

It acts like it's running out of fuel, but you think it's electrical. Why?

I recently went thru this.Hmmm. Keeps dying. Why? Has new ignition and fuel pump.
Dies out, hit it with starting fluid. Fires up instantly. OK, it's fuel.
Pulled fuel line to carb. Crank. No fuel.
Got another new fuel pump. VROOOOMMM!
Ok, the new made in China $20 fuel pumps are ****.

Bought a quality Carter fuel pump. Good to go.

Not saying your new pump is defective.
See how I figured it out?

Ban computer updates, auto-play video and music without real instruments.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Where are you? (I wish people filled in their locations)

It acts like it's running out of fuel, but you think it's electrical. Why?

I recently went thru this.Hmmm. Keeps dying. Why? Has new ignition and fuel pump.
Dies out, hit it with starting fluid. Fires up instantly. OK, it's fuel.
Pulled fuel line to carb. Crank. No fuel.
Got another new fuel pump. VROOOOMMM!
Ok, the new made in China $20 fuel pumps are ****.

Bought a quality Carter fuel pump. Good to go.

Not saying your new pump is defective.
See how I figured it out?
In Tucson.
"Like it's running out of fuel" was a description of the way it feels when dies. However, there is a strong smell of gas in the cab when this happens. The gauges all stop working while it is in the stall and I am coasting, as if the key were turned off. It only (ONLY) does this when the engine is hot. Last time it did it, the temp gauge spiked back and forth spaztically before it shut off. It had been running warm (200˚ range with a 165˚ thermostat). After changing the Temp Sensor, the gauge stayed right on 165˚, but after getting out on the road in the 108˚ sun, it stalled.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can get a gas smell during vapor lock.
Vapor lock is caused when gas literally boils in the fuel line. The fuel pump can't pump vapor so it starves out and dies.

Did anyone change the fuel filter and eliminate the fuel return?
Did anyone change the fuel line routing?

Can you "make" it mess up real close to home so you aren't stranded in the heat?
If so, there are a few things to do to help diagnose.
YJ Newby likes this.

Ban computer updates, auto-play video and music without real instruments.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
You can get a gas smell during vapor lock.
Vapor lock is caused when gas literally boils in the fuel line. The fuel pump can't pump vapor so it starves out and dies.

Did anyone change the fuel filter and eliminate the fuel return?
Did anyone change the fuel line routing?

Can you "make" it mess up real close to home so you aren't stranded in the heat?
If so, there are a few things to do to help diagnose.
Yes, I also changed the fuel filter. Just unhooked it and hooked the new one back up. Did not eliminate the fuel return, but that is an interesting thought. Another thing that it has been doing is starving if I park on an incline. It's like the fuel all runs back to the tank. I have to let it crank for a long, long time before it fires up.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose I could circle the block in my neighborhood until it gets warm enough to act up.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 05:09 PM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dirty old trick - a ping pong ball in the gas tank.
Wish I could help with your problem,hope you figure it out.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #8 of 15 Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 PM
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When it does it again, see if the pipe after the cat converter is cooler than before. Had an Eagle wagon that would die and it turned out to be a plugged cat converter. You'll know if there's a temp difference before and after.

MCLMM
post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Newby View Post

In Tucson.
"Like it's running out of fuel" was a description of the way it feels when dies. However, there is a strong smell of gas in the cab when this happens. The gauges all stop working while it is in the stall and I am coasting, as if the key were turned off. It only (ONLY) does this when the engine is hot. Last time it did it, the temp gauge spiked back and forth spaztically before it shut off. It had been running warm (200˚ range with a 165˚ thermostat). After changing the Temp Sensor, the gauge stayed right on 165˚, but after getting out on the road in the 108˚ sun, it stalled.
The gauges all stop working you are losing the switched ignition feed. Im not familiar with your setup but it would make sense to try and jumper power around the switch to make sure it's good.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 15 Old 06-05-2016, 05:51 AM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post

The gauges all stop working you are losing the switched ignition feed. Im not familiar with your setup but it would make sense to try and jumper power around the switch to make sure it's good.
^^This ^^
And sometimes people used the older style breakers that were an 1" long x 1/2" wide silver box with two terminals coming out of the top.
When they get older they get weak,never know if the PO may have used one as a replacement somewhere along the circuit.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #11 of 15 Old 06-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would go through all your ground wires and clean the contact surfaces. Make sure they are all present.
Then do the same with all your power distribution wires. Battery cables, and the fusible links on the starter relay on the firewall.
Losing the gauges is an indication of a power (or ground) loss.
Maybe throw a new(quality) starter relay on it?

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #12 of 15 Old 06-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
I would go through all your ground wires and clean the contact surfaces. Make sure they are all present.
Then do the same with all your power distribution wires. Battery cables, and the fusible links on the starter relay on the firewall.
Losing the gauges is an indication of a power (or ground) loss.
Maybe throw a new(quality) starter relay on it?

The gauges and the stall point to your switched ignition feed. I agree with dred to look at the starter relay on the firewall and go from there. Easiest to get to. The gauge dropping out would indicate an issue with the switched feed at the ignition switch or the fuse feed in the panel at your feet. Loose or corrosion on the fuse.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #13 of 15 Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Would the outlet lines on the fuel filter being transposed be causing a vapor lock? When I was in there doing the suggested post cleaning, I realized that the center tube out was hooked to the return line and the "Top" hose was routed to the carb. Not sure how that happened, but it was several months ago that I changed those two short hoses because they were cracked and leaking...
post #14 of 15 Old 06-06-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
YJ Newby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel Filter Question

What issues would be caused by having the "Out" tubes on my fuel filter crossed? The "through" port in the center was routed to the return line, and the "Return" line (@ 12:00) was routed into the carb. Could this be creating a vapor lock and be the source of my stalling issues when the Jeep or the outside temperatures are hot?

4.2L, I6, YJ
post #15 of 15 Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, not if the gages are dropping when it occurs. That is a power issue all the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.