still having brake problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > still having brake problems...

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

still having brake problems...

i'm still getting air in my lines when i drive over 60 for a mile or so (ex. interstate highway) but i can drive around town for weeks with it being fine.

I can't find a leak in the lines and I've checked the vacuum line out of the master and everything seems fine.

I am about to take it to a professional and have them figure it out, but I don't want to pay to have them fix something that doesn't need fixing...

Any ideas???

Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had that happen on my vett. It took me forever to figure it out... do you have any pulsing when you apply the brakes on the highway? The problem I had with my Vett was the calipers are spring loaded and the slighted out of line that the rotors have will suck air into the calipers.

True story, I still do not know how it happens, but I did get it fixed.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nope when i go to hit the brakes on the highway it will go all the way to the floor. another thing is when i chech the reservior the little compartment is always cloudy....
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni View Post
i'm still getting air in my lines when i drive over 60 for a mile or so (ex. interstate highway) but i can drive around town for weeks with it being fine.

I can't find a leak in the lines and I've checked the vacuum line out of the master and everything seems fine.

I am about to take it to a professional and have them figure it out, but I don't want to pay to have them fix something that doesn't need fixing...

Any ideas???
Fierst are the brakes adjusted correctly? They usuallly aren't after some time especially drum brakes. The self adjuster threads never get lubed. Are you losing brake fluid out of the MC? Check the inside of your tires. You may have a leaking wheel cylinder. Or the MC itself is shot. If you are not losing fluid but have no brakes at higher speeds when you hit the brakes, the rubbber lines on your brake system could be expanding which will increase the area your brake fluid needs to fill, making your brake pedal go to the floor.

Your are either losing fluid, increasing the area of youur fluid space or your MC is shot.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your master is cloudy and then it goes away after sitting it is most definatly air. I would still just for grins andthe cheaper fix. Check your rotors for runout.

Then I am just throwing out that the master is sucking in air through the lever that goes to the pedal. Especially if both front and back reserves are cloudy.
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
If your master is cloudy and then it goes away after sitting it is most definatly air. I would still just for grins andthe cheaper fix. Check your rotors for runout.

Then I am just throwing out that the master is sucking in air through the lever that goes to the pedal. Especially if both front and back reserves are cloudy.
rotors and pads are new that was my first attempt to fix it, and the last two times it has happen i didn't have time to bleed them and they fixed theirselves....
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You may have checked this before but are your calipers on right bleeder up?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yep its on right i just dont know what else to do other than taking it to someone...
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni View Post
rotors and pads are new that was my first attempt to fix it, and the last two times it has happen i didn't have time to bleed them and they fixed theirselves....

Sorry dude they did not fix themselves. Now that you state this. You need to pull the fluid from your master wipe it dry with a clean rag. Then fill it.

Then properly bleed your whole system. If you find that it does not bleed properly, then you got air in your master and you need to bench bleed it.

I am sure it is time to flush your system and this will help to do it.

You screwed up by replacing the calipers and not bleeding the system.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Sorry dude they did not fix themselves. Now that you state this. You need to pull the fluid from your master wipe it dry with a clean rag. Then fill it.

Then properly bleed your whole system. If you find that it does not bleed properly, then you got air in your master and you need to bench bleed it.

I am sure it is time to flush your system and this will help to do it.

You screwed up by replacing the calipers and not bleeding the system.
i never replaced the calipers i only replaced the rotors and pads even when i did that i bled the lines there is never air in the front brakes only the rear.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you have power brakes just for the heck of it pull the master and see if you have a leak. Years ago a guy brought me a car he couldnt keep brake fluid in everything was new no sigh of a leak. Long story short the booster had a hole in it and sucked the fluid out. I know you are not loosing fluid but it cant hurt.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.