Stiff Shifter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stiff Shifter

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That brake fluid looks like molasses. If you get the urge, maybe change it out for some fresh DOT 3.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just to be clear, am i putting DOT 3 brake fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir AND the clutch master cylinder reservoir?
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Just to be clear, am i putting DOT 3 brake fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir AND the clutch master cylinder reservoir?
Yes
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedWrangler View Post
Yes
x2.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
That brake fluid looks like molasses. If you get the urge, maybe change it out for some fresh DOT 3.
What would be the best way to go about this? Start on the back passenger side and let the brakes bleed out until fresh fluid starts flowing?
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
What would be the best way to go about this? Start on the back passenger side and let the brakes bleed out until fresh fluid starts flowing?
I don't know of any perfect method. I would siphon off the old fluid in the reservoir and then add fresh and bleed from the furthest wheel until it was clean. Then I would bleed all the other wheels.

That's what I would do at least.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How much fluid does it take to do the brakes?
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a couple questions. Does someone have to hold the clutch in the entire time I turn the fitting? Can they let up from time to time?

Also, do I turn the top fitting?

image-1843335211.jpg

I did turn that and I couldn't really tell but it sort of appeared that the line itself was twisting. However, when I ran my finger along the line, I found no rippling/ twisting in the line.

Another note, I was able to easily move the line in and out of the trans. It didn't seem like it should do that. If the line is busted, broken, kinked, it looks like that would a major hassle to fix.

Out of fear of stripping the fitting, I stopped and applied a dose of PB blaster. I'll let it sit and apply some more later. Any more advice would be helpful. Thanks.

CB
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Today I took a closer look where the line goes into the transmission. This is why it moved around so easily the other day:

image-1819310160.jpg

It looks like it needs to be replaced. What do I need to do to fix this? What part(s) do I need? Is this something I can do (newb) myself or do I need to outsource?
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone out there?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC
Anyone out there?
If i remember right mine moves too but I don't know what it looks like. To bleed the clutch you need two wrenches. One to hold the stationary line and the other to turn the screw.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC
Anyone out there?
You might be looking at a new internal slave cylinder. Unfortunately it's an internal, you have to drop the transmission in order to change it.

I agree with all that has been said. You should change the brake fluid. Suck out all the old fluid and add new stuff. Then start the bleeding process. A one litre bottle should do ya, I always have two just incase I run into any problems along the way.
When you bleed the clutch there are a few ways of doing it.
The most common is the same way you do your brakes. Add fluid, pump pedal 3-5 times, hold pedal down, open bleeder nipple, close nipple when pressure slows, release pedal and pump again. Repeat until no bubbles. Making sure you keep an eye on the fluid level.

I you have a garage and basic tools, such as sockets and wrenches. I suggest a pilot bearing puller and a jug of varsol with a brush for cleaning. Then brake clean to get the varsol film off. It will take a day to do this job. Buy a Haynes manual and get a buddy who has a free day and buy a case of beer. It's not "hard" just takes patience is all. A transmission jack is your friend, not needed, I did mine with a couple two by fours and jack stands and a jack. But I wish I had a tranny jack.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A decent trans lift from Harbor freight is around $300. How much would it cost to outsource this to a mechanic?
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
A decent trans lift from Harbor freight is around $300. How much would it cost to outsource this to a mechanic?
A very capable tranny jack from them runs $90 full price. I think I paid 50 for it on sale many years ago. You don't need the $300 dollar model. These transmissions a very light. http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html
Clutch job costs vary wildly, but best guess on average would be $800 give or take a few bills depending on locale and misc. You can likely do it yourself for less than half including parts and the HF jack. Call around though for quotes. Usually all the motivation I every needed to do my own work was the quote from someone else wanting to do it for me.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #30
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby

A very capable tranny jack from them runs $90 full price. I think I paid 50 for it on sale many years ago. You don't need the $300 dollar model. These transmissions a very light. http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html
Clutch job costs vary wildly, but best guess on average would be $800 give or take a few bills depending on locale and misc. You can likely do it yourself for less than half including parts and the HF jack. Call around though for quotes. Usually all the motivation I every needed to do my own work was the quote from someone else wanting to do it for me.
I hear what you are saying. I normally would not shy away from doing the work myself but this may be too big a job for me to handle. 1) I don't have a completely level driveway and I'm worried about getting crushed, 2) my 24 yo transmission has never been taken off and the bolts holding it up will be VERY difficult to deal with. I would rather have someone else deal with it. It would be much easier to loosen the bolts if the Jeep is on a lift.

Trying to loosen the bolts on the insulator plate (where the clutch master cylinder line goes in), while the jeep is on jacks, is damn near impossible. I can't get a good angle on them. I've PB blasted and torched the bolts but they ain't moving.

On the subject of tranny lifts, the reviews for the cheaper ones say they are very rickety. Just for peace of mind, I'd rather purchase the more expensive one. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.