sticky throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sticky throttle

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-17-2001, 07:44 PM   #1
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sticky throttle

I just finished putting the funnel type air intake on and I noticed that the throttle sticks a bit when I push it in, not enough to cause me concern, it just feels as though I push it in and it wants to go in further. When I let off it comes back out like normal. I'm a network engineer so I'll tell you EVERYTHING I did, instead of making you try to figure it out. I pulled out the whole airbox and put on the intake tube, took some finesse cuz it wasnt the right angle. ***I used the rubber tubes (PCV,etc) that came with it which are smaller in diameter than the originals. This is the only thing that I can think of that would affect this. Maybe vacuum differences??? I dont know how this whole vaccuum system works. It wasnt sticking when I disconnected them. Any info would help.

04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 09:42 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

after closer inspection the throttle is creating a strong vaccuum. When I give it gas its sucking air in through the intake. This is what it is supposed to do isnt it? It shouldnt affect my throttle though should it? when I let off the throttle it sucks the throttle closed.
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 12-18-2001, 09:28 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wait here, I'll go get some help!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2001, 09:52 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I went and got help, he read the thread but I'm not sure he understands your problem. I've hopefully guilted him into following along though. Here's what he said to me on ICQ:

<quote>
hmmm! I s he saying that he put a smaller tube on his injection? If so, that might not be a good idea. Even on a 4 banger which I believe he said he has. The air/fuel intake is regulated by the computer so it might be getting the wrong reading on the intake or he has a leak in the tube and the mixture is getting a wrong reading. I know on mine it needs an 18" straight run before the carb or it runs like crap. His is obviously a stock set up though. I would put the regular tube back on and see if it straightens out. If it does, the salution is obvious.
<unquote>
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2001, 05:46 AM   #5
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm. The going back to stock is not an option (I used/modified parts to get it on) as far as performance, Im getting noticibly more horsepower. The air intake is bigger, much bigger and it sucks air like crazy. I'm just worried that this might be affecting the Jeep long term. I know several other people that are running this setup and it works for them. I think im going to replace the tube that goes into the valve cover with a larger one. Also I noticed that there was apiece broken off where it connects from the CCV valve to the Throttle body, gotta replace that too.

Osburn- Thanks for all the help, its nice to know someone , who knows someone, you know what i mean...
04' Dodge Ram

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.