Stereo cutting out when both wires to speaker are connected - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stereo cutting out when both wires to speaker are connected

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 07-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
iltl32

Stereo cutting out when both wires to speaker are connected

'94 Sahara

When I bought it only the speaker bar speakers worked.

The head unit had no aux. input so I replaced it with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Nothing great but it should work.

After installation, I've got two problems

1. The right speaker (should be purple and purple/black wires) only works when the purple wire is connected to the head unit. If the purple/black wire is connected, all audio cuts out. At that point restarting the unit, pulling power cables, etc. will not restore audio. You have to unhook and rehook the purple wires after you unhook the purple/black to restore audio. What could cause that? Likely a faulty head unit or something else? As far as I know the other unit worked fine with both wires connected. The left speaker works fine with both wires connected.

2. Front speakers still don't work. Since they weren't working before I know it's probably not the head unit, but how do I troubleshoot this? I can't really trace the wires back because they're wrapped and re-wrapped into so many different things. What colors should I be looking for and is there a quick way to test the speakers?

The wires from the head unit are spliced into a plug. Here's a picture
http://imgur.com/97QyNzo

Both purple and purple/black wires are disconnected in that photo.

Any help is much appreciated. I really don't want to have to cut all the wires I just spliced so I'm hoping I can fix this without sending the unit back.

iltl32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a VOM you can look at the violet wires toward the speaker referencing ground. May be a short to ground in there somewhere.

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
Unread 07-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you try hooking a speaker directly to the wires, off the back of the head unit, without going through the jeep harness?

If it works fine that way then you have a problem with your dash harness. And i would just run new wires instead of trying to troubleshoot the harness.

If hooking the speaker directly to the back of the head unit doesn't work. Then i would say you have a faulty head unit, or the pins to the head unit were positioned in the wrong locations. Either way i would send it back for a replacement.
rustisexpected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
iltl32

>>Did you try hooking a speaker directly to the wires, off the back of the head unit, without going through the jeep harness?

This is a great idea, I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks!

Follow-up question: I used those red crimp tube wire connectors so I guess I'll have to cut them off. Is there a removable connector I should be using? At this rate I'll be out of wire soon...
Unread 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you establish that everything is working properly then a "permanent" connection is fine. I always just solder and shrink tube my stereo. But I take the time to twist everything together and make sure its working before i plug in my soldering iron.
Unread 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iltl32 View Post
'94 Sahara

When I bought it only the speaker bar speakers worked.

The head unit had no aux. input so I replaced it with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Nothing great but it should work.

After installation, I've got two problems

1. The right speaker (should be purple and purple/black wires) only works when the purple wire is connected to the head unit. If the purple/black wire is connected, all audio cuts out. At that point restarting the unit, pulling power cables, etc. will not restore audio. You have to unhook and rehook the purple wires after you unhook the purple/black to restore audio. What could cause that? Likely a faulty head unit or something else? As far as I know the other unit worked fine with both wires connected. The left speaker works fine with both wires connected.

2. Front speakers still don't work. Since they weren't working before I know it's probably not the head unit, but how do I troubleshoot this? I can't really trace the wires back because they're wrapped and re-wrapped into so many different things. What colors should I be looking for and is there a quick way to test the speakers?

The wires from the head unit are spliced into a plug. Here's a picture
http://imgur.com/97QyNzo

Both purple and purple/black wires are disconnected in that photo.

Any help is much appreciated. I really don't want to have to cut all the wires I just spliced so I'm hoping I can fix this without sending the unit back.
The black plug (c224 connector number in fsm wiring diagram) in your picture is the factory plug from the harness which normally plugs into the back of the stock radio. It connects both front and if installed the rear speakers. Also it supplies power, both constant (pink) and switched (red). Ground is supplied by another plug. The white plug is from an aftermarket install kit. It would be used to wire the aftermarket radio to the factory wired speakers and power. Is that what you are trying to do? You can get another aftermarker plug on ebay if you are running out of wire.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271275284997...3AIT#vi-ilComp
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
piotrsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was under the impression that purple with tracer was rear set and chassis was return for ground.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
I was under the impression that purple with tracer was rear set and chassis was return for ground.
I don't have the original radio and my ground does not have the original connector but the fsm shows a wire coming from splice s213 to the ground on the radio. Looks like a spade connector in the diagram. Also, diagram shows 1 purple (violet) in connector c224, no tracer, which is for right front speaker (+). There are 3 dark blue wires with tracers, DB/RD rt front (-), DB/OR rt rear (-) and DB/WT rt rear (+).

The rear speakers are connected at connector c227 which is, I belive, on passenger side, near the under dash light but that connector has a purple wire in it that connects to a LG/WT or DB/WT depending on if there are halo speakers or not.

I'm getting all of this out of a 1995 fsm and my 1993 jeep has the same color coding, so far.

Last edited by paulsadog; 07-31-2015 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Clarification
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #9
iltl32

I got the rear speakers working. The splices were shorted in a couple places from previous owner.

Front speakers still do nothing. I looked at the passenger one and it has 4 wires connected; not sure what they're all form. Also the wire cases are so dirty/faded its kind of hard to tell the colors. I'm assuming their wires from the OEM plug to the aftermarket are not mapped correctly.
Unread 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I would just cut the factory wires behind the plug, solder in new wires, and route them across the dash to the speaker plugs.(I ran all new speaker wires, sound bar included) If you have an aftermarket set of speakers just add some spade connectors and plug them directly to the speakers. Just be sure you have the polarity correct. This way you avoid the funky factory wiring which was wired for your factory head unit, and not intended to work with a aftermarket replacement. Seems like less headache and much easier to troubleshoot in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.