Steerng Shaft Possible Solution - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steerng Shaft Possible Solution

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Travler87
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Steerng Shaft Possible Solution

I bought my first jeep and it just so happens it is a 94 Jeep YJ, and is great shape. Except for those darn Steering Shaft U-Joints, and the bad thing this is I was going to break down and buy a overpriced expensive steering shaft (Quadratec price $139 to $300 for a "heavy duty" ) that if the u-joints go out again I would be in the same place, definitely not the correct thing to do. It seems that everything Jeep ends up putting money in Quadratec's wallet.

This problem is so simple that when everyone encounters it they go with the easy fix and buy a shaft and be done with it. Talk about turning a mole hill into a mountain.

I have built/repaired numerous rail buggies and don't know that much about the Jeeps. So when I got this problem and I actually popped the hood and took a few measurements and realized that the Jeep YJ is almost identical ( in concept ) to a steering setup on a VW Rail Buggy, and they have High-Torque Universal Joints that are removable. You can get them with splines, smooth shaft, or with a Key Way from 5/8 shaft to 7/8 shaft. With price that's approx. $35-45 depending on size. I know for a fact that the shaft on the steering box is a 3/4" w/ 32 splines (odd count) and the top I believe is a 1" Shaft, but it is a little different, I have yet to pull mine apart yet.

Here is the Link to where I got the ones for my Buggy

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/...ng%20wheel.htm

Make sure you also get a Steering Box to Steering Shaft Coupling, since the spline on the steering box is a 32 spline. I will be welding the coupling to the steering box shaft and then it will all bolt-in and out. Here's the link for that part.

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/...ack&pinion.htm

I will be building mine this weekend and will take some pictures and post them along with the results.

Can I get some other people's opinion on this? Maybe some one know what the top shaft is exactly.

Travler87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.