Steering wheel vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering wheel vibrations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steering wheel vibrations

Driving around today, I noticed that the steering wheel was moving/ vibrating side to side every once in awhile. It didn't do it the entire time. The couple times it did it, it seemed quite noticeable. Ideas? Thanks.

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also, the times when I noticed it, I had not hit a rut in the road. It was on a smooth surface. I'm wondering if there's a problem that needs to be addressed before I go flying over a highway embankment because my steering wheel suddenly stops working.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would guess to just check everything for play and make sure no bubbles are forming on the sidewall of the tires

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
I would guess to just check everything for play and make sure no bubbles are forming on the sidewall of the tires
Thanks. I'll check it in the morning. What would the bubbles come from?
Unread 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
Thanks. I'll check it in the morning. What would the bubbles come from?
a defect in the tire, or hitting a bump (curb, pothole, etc) a bit too hard
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's one serious pothole!
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sometimes it happens though, and it sucks once it really gets larger because you will be hopping all over hte road.

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It could be wheel balance issues, could be steering components such as worn bushings, could be one of several things.

I'd go with what's already been mentioned in this thread, then check for missing wheel weights, then move to the steering components and inspect the tie rod and drag link.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Peety
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check the tire pressures first, cold air is less dense than warm air, and it sure has gotten cold the past few days...
Peety is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.