Steering Wheel Stuck / High Beams Broke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Wheel Stuck / High Beams Broke

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 11-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Steering Wheel Stuck / High Beams Broke

Ok i have two issues that maybe some people have knowledge about...

I have part of the bolt from a steering wheel puller stuck in my steering wheel (damn advanced auto loaner tools). There's no threads, or anything else for that matter exposed to grab onto. I've tried with two ppl pulling the wheel, pb blasting the hell out of it, breaker bars, 'EZ' Outs on the bolt, and i cant get the damn thing off... Any idea's before i just get fed up and decide to just hook the steering wheel to a tree behind me, throw it in 4low and bail?

Also does anyone have a decent picture of how things are supposed to look under the little panel on the left side of steering column about 6 inches down from the wheel? When i pull the stalk that would toggle the high beams there is no resistance and i believe something came loose and would more than likely be under this panel.

Thanks

mazyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Most steering wheels I have pulled were removed with a brass hammer.

Loosten the nut holding the wheel on (but don't remove it, just 2 or 3 threads loose), support the lower part of the wheel with your knees and grab the top of the wheel with your left hand.

Pull up with your knees and pull with your left hand. Then strike the nut sharply with the brass hammer. One or two licks usually frees the wheel.

Don't get carried away with the hammer, you can hit it too hard.

edit to add, did you pop the puller screw with a hammer after you tightened it down? This is usually needed to dislodge the wheel when using a puller.

Last edited by Old4X; 11-13-2008 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: add info
Old4X is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No i didnt hit the puller screw with a hammer the time the puller broke off, it came off fine without doing so the first time so i didnt bother to the second, it could have helped for sure, but next time im just not going to use rental junk tools that just aren't made worth ****

thanks for the reply old4x
mazyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.