Steering Wheel Not Straight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Wheel Not Straight

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Steering Wheel Not Straight

So when I purchased my 92 YJ a year ago, it had some old 4" suspension on it. I plan to replace everything next year to a 5" BDS one. I've noticed though that my steering wheel is turned sideways a bit when going straight. Would I need a drop pitman arm and a trackbar relocation kit? I just want to know what I need to do to fix this right now. I've added some pictures below of the current setup.

SKYOFSCORPIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your spring bushings aren't too worn, I'd ditch the track bar all together. It'll give you a noticeable improvement in ride quality. As for your steering wheel, use a pipe wrench to adjust the length of your drag link until the wheel is centered.
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

But wouldn't removing a track bar make the handling not as good? To be honest, I have no clue which bar is the track bar and which is the drag link. My guess is the track bar is the same thing as a sway bar which is the bar with small vertical bars at the end. And the drag link is the diagonal bar attached to the pitman arm
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The bar coming off your pitman is the one to adjust. Put wheels straight(on the ground), loosen the bolt on the bar, take pliers/pipe wrench and turn the bar and see what way your wheel moves, once you know what way to move it proceed to turn the bar till the wheel is straight, now retighten the bolt on the bar back and done. It's super simple and if you look at it you can figure out with no problem at all. Good luck and don't forget to tighten the bolt on the bar back :-)
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
SKYOFSCORPIONS
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds easy enough! What exactly is a drop pitman arm and track bar relocation do? I've just read they are needed on lifted Jeeps.
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You just wat to make your steering wheel straight, correct?

Easy-peezy 5 min fix.

Make sure you park with your wheels straight, then loosen the two bolts circled in the picture then rotate the rod to strighen out the steering wheel. Tighen up the two bolts and BOOM!!! your done. that's it, that's all, nothing more to do.
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

drop arm will help your steering geometry, get one, you need it.

track bar keeps axle alligned, you dont need it since its a leaf sprung vehicle and there is no play, ditching it will soften up yer ride quite a bit.

Tags
drop pitman arm , susepnsion lift , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.