steering wheel disconnect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering wheel disconnect?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

steering wheel disconnect?

ok so i was just looking around and iv always like a quick disconnect steering wheel(security purposes) i know that if someone really wants it they can get it but at least it would slow them down a bit.

I know grant makes a kits thats about $150 but what about something like this;http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=175

im interested to see if anyone has tried something like this on a YJ...

thoughts?...

Anonymous6915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i used to have the grant system on a CJ i had, very nice system, but tempermental to dirt and water, the release lever would sometimes have to go back and forth a few times to disengage the lock and allow the wheel to come on, or go off, i found itwas best o keep it spotless and even used emery clotch to brighten it up than use WD or PB to lube it, they just attracted dirt even faster..

but once on, was very secure.. just a slight ticking noise when you pull it left and right, its not a 100% solid mount so it had a small amount of side play

edit:
and oh, my horn NEVER worked right after i installed it, a few occassions didnt work at all, and sometime i got that "beep, beep, beep" as i tirned the wheel!!

it would even start blaring on its own and i would have to jump out and pull the clip on the horn itself till i installed a dash mounted horn button..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the input but i was more interested in seeing if anyone used the one in the link...
Anonymous6915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous6915 View Post
ok so i was just looking around and iv always like a quick disconnect steering wheel(security purposes) i know that if someone really wants it they can get it but at least it would slow them down a bit.

I know grant makes a kits thats about $150 but what about something like this;http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=175

im interested to see if anyone has tried something like this on a YJ...

thoughts?...
I use one like that but with the splines not the hex. The hex has a lot of play in it whereas the splined ones are tighter. I always weld them on but if you don't want to be that committed I believe Summit sells one manufactured by Grant that threads on to the column.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
lyleorszulak807
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have been looking at this as well for my XJ, after some a hole tried to steel it last night I am looking for some theft protection...

Ive seen one on jegs for 80 bucks, it says for GM saginaw type shafts. I imagine thats the one which would fit nicely over the splines..atleast thats what the research I did points out to. With that one you dont even need to weld it, just cage nut.

But I have never seen or used the one in the link...
ROLLED & TOTALED! 89 XJ 4.0L Renix AW4 | Rustys Air intake kit Steering Box reinforcement bar Bomb proof Motor Mounts | RE HD Track Bar, drop down Bracket, support brace | Cobra 75sxt CB | 33x12.5x15 MTR's on Crager soft 8 | Teraflex and 5.5" RE HD springs | yada yada...[/CENTER]
lyleorszulak807 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.