steering stop bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering stop bolts

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
huntinfish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

steering stop bolts

I am new to the jeeping world. I have an 88 yj wrangler. it has a 2.5 body lift and I put a set of 32X11.50X15 tires on it. They rub when you turn the wheels all the way. I have researched my options via this forum. I have decided(mainly because of budget issues) to adjust my steering stops. This is the problem. I don't really have a complete understanding of how this works. I think I have located them. On another post someone said to just pull them out and put a couple of washers on them. The bolts that I located look like they are already out about 3/4 of and inch. so obviously I don't need to put washers on this. Someone please enlighten me as to how I need to adjust this. Do I just back them out even more? They are seized up pretty good right now.

huntinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
HumbertUSAF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You just back them out even more. The washers you add are just to keep them from turning back in and most times the jam nut that you would screw up against the knuckle to hold the bolt out is seized and wont move so just add washers accordingly until the bolt is out far enough to stop the tire where you want it to stop
[B][I][COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/I][/B]
HumbertUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Most have a tack weld on them to keep them from turning. You will have to grind it off before adjusting.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

On mine the tack weld locked the jam nut onto the bolt. The bolt still came out easiily.

Use washers, or buy a couple new longer bolts and jam nuts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.