Steering stabilizer and tie rod issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering stabilizer and tie rod issues.

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955

Unread 05-13-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Steering stabilizer and tie rod issues.

I was putting new shocks on and the steering stabilizer bolt busted. So I proceeded to begin to grind it off then drill it out. Well, the drilling out part isn't quite happening too well so I decided that it wasn't worth it.

So I go for a test drive around my yard (still in my cast and don't want to try driving on the streets yet) and there is a popping in my steering. I get out of the Jeep and watch the steering shaft as I turn the wheel, not that. Watch the tie rod, and the tie rod is moving causing the noise. If the explanation is not decent enough I can go make a video of it once it stops raining.

Now the question is this, is that normal? Is the steering dampener supposed to prevent the tie rod from moving that way? If so, should I just go purchase a new tie rod, without a broken bolt stuck in it. Or are the ends shot, and by putting a new tie rod, with a new steering stabilizer on, it will only mask the problem?

I have had the Jeep for 2 years, have not done any front end work, other then the new shocks I just put on. I noticed a slight kink in the steering before, but only occasionally. Hadn't had it happen since last spring. So that gives you a bit of history.

Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfever
I was putting new shocks on and the steering stabilizer bolt busted. So I proceeded to begin to grind it off then drill it out. Well, the drilling out part isn't quite happening too well so I decided that it wasn't worth it.

So I go for a test drive around my yard (still in my cast and don't want to try driving on the streets yet) and there is a popping in my steering. I get out of the Jeep and watch the steering shaft as I turn the wheel, not that. Watch the tie rod, and the tie rod is moving causing the noise. If the explanation is not decent enough I can go make a video of it once it stops raining.

Now the question is this, is that normal? Is the steering dampener supposed to prevent the tie rod from moving that way? If so, should I just go purchase a new tie rod, without a broken bolt stuck in it. Or are the ends shot, and by putting a new tie rod, with a new steering stabilizer on, it will only mask the problem?

I have had the Jeep for 2 years, have not done any front end work, other then the new shocks I just put on. I noticed a slight kink in the steering before, but only occasionally. Hadn't had it happen since last spring. So that gives you a bit of history.
The tie rod is supposed to move a little bit, meaning if you grab it you might be able to twist it a little bit.

The stabilizer can mask certain steering problems. But it sounds like one or more of your tie rods are probably broken. You should check them. On one end of the tie rod it screws on and can easily be replaced. On the other end it is probably part of the tie rod, meaning you will have to replace the entire tie rod if that side is shot. That is the drag link side.

I believe in keeping the stabilizer on. But many guys on this board say they take them off with no issues. However with all of the changes we make to our Jeep (lift tires,etc.), most of us probably have a few minor issues we do not even know about. The stabilizer protects us from these minor issues.

So find a way to get the stabilizer back on, but check the tie rod ends. Also check the end on the drag link that goes to the pitman arm.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
The tie rod is supposed to move a little bit, meaning if you grab it you might be able to twist it a little bit.

The stabilizer can mask certain steering problems. But it sounds like one or more of your tie rods are probably broken. You should check them. On one end of the tie rod it screws on and can easily be replaced. On the other end it is probably part of the tie rod, meaning you will have to replace the entire tie rod if that side is shot. That is the drag link side.

I believe in keeping the stabilizer on. But many guys on this board say they take them off with no issues. However with all of the changes we make to our Jeep (lift tires,etc.), most of us probably have a few minor issues we do not even know about. The stabilizer protects us from these minor issues.

So find a way to get the stabilizer back on, but check the tie rod ends. Also check the end on the drag link that goes to the pitman arm.
I have the front end up on stands right now and it turns fine. No binding, clunking or otherwise. Everything appears tight and such. So I guess I will just try and drill out the rest of that bolt, actually I am going to take it somewhere and have them do it. I already broke my drill trying.
Unread 05-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

it's not buckling because their is no force on the wheels....

set it back down and have someone watch your tie rod ends while you turn the steering wheel. they shouldn't really move at all, just pivot on their studs.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
it's not buckling because their is no force on the wheels....

set it back down and have someone watch your tie rod ends while you turn the steering wheel. they shouldn't really move at all, just pivot on their studs.
Good point.

After playing with it more I have narrowed it down to the tie rod end that connects to the pitman arm. I am pretty sure that having the stabilizer on there prevented the tie rod from turning which turned the adjusting rod causing the clunk. Does this make sense? Or am I way off on my assessment?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.