Steering Stabilizer, suspension, brake info needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Stabilizer, suspension, brake info needed

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
NorCalPound916
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Steering Stabilizer, suspension, brake info needed

Just picked up a new to me 93 YJ and clearly some things need to be handled on it. I had to drive it on the freeway bout 130 miles to get it home and noticed some things. The lifted suspension set up(not sure what it is) is very, VERY stiff, the steering seems very loose, and when I step on the brakes they seem to shake the car under 10mph. No I am not new to jeeps, I understand they are not meant to ride as smooth as a BMW or Mercedes but figure there is room for improvement since my old YJ never rode this rough. The main use for the car is going to be a good looking DD that I can play with on the weekends but nothing crazy.
After searching around I haven't found info on steering stabilizers, do they work? Would it be assumed that one may help part of my situation or could it just be something like alignment or tire balance? Is there anything I could do to make the ride a bit smoother like upgrading shocks or adding more? Finally, would replacing the stock brake parts be a wise decision or should I consider upgrading?

Thanks.

NorCalPound916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sometimes the brake shimmy happens because somebody put new pads on without gettign the rotors turned. I would start there. Also, I just bought a new steering stabilizer for my JY at Autozone, they are not too expensive. Might be worth it for you to put a new stabilizer and pads/rotor turns to see if it helps with the brake shimmy. You could do all that for way less than $100 in parts. Can't tell you much about the rough ride other than to think about removing the track bars if they are still on. Just about everyone on the forum takes the track bars off the YJ since a leaf sprung vehicle really doesn't need them.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
sloan74
2011 KK Liberty 

How is it lifted? Body lift + susp? How high? What size tires you running? If it's lifted and does not have a stabilizer, I agree with clush - go ahead and get one, they are not $. That would fix your steering problem I bet.

I would definitely take off the tires and check all the brakes. Might want to replace the rotors/pads on the front and the shoes/wheel cyclinders/springs(kit) on the rear. Have the drums machined, or just buy new ones. The front is easy, the rear (drum brakes) are somewhat a pain but not that bad. Once you do 1 drum brake, you can do them all. lol

Check your fluids asap also, might as well dump and replace all those, it's not hard and not that $.

That's the first thing I did when I bought my 95' with 140k on it. Did all the fluids, then both sets of brakes (the rear brakes on mine were in pathetic shape...lol).

It rides a TON better.

Quick run down on what you need (since I just did all this on the 95' I recently purchased).

Front brakes:
2 front brake rotors
1 set of front brake pads (set will include both left and right)

Rear brakes:
(my neighbor is a Ford diesel mechanic so I was lucky and he machined by drums for me) 2 rear brake drums
1 set of rear brake shoes (set will include both left and right)
2 rear wheel cylinders
1 rear brake kit (includes all new springs/bolts etc)

Get ya some good degreaser, some brake cleaner and some grease also.

For the fluids:

I am assuming it's a manual?

Transmission takes 10w30 engine oil or 75w90 gear oil (your choice here, just use good fluid, dont buy the cheap stuff). This is super easy, 2 normal socket plugs underneith, one to drain, one to fill. About as hard as changing the oil here.

Transfer case takes ATF 4 (automatic transmission fluid), super easy also, 2 big 30mm plugs on the case, one to drain, 1 to fill.

Rear differential case (inspect this one, is it wet? looks real dirty? etc), if so buy a new gasket for it and dump and replace the fluid in it, takes 75w90 gear oil. This one is not hard, but takes a while to clean if the existing gasket is bad and you have a mess on the outside.

If you need guides for any of this let us know and we will post step by step links.

Oh and Welcome to the forums! And congrats on the 92!

Last edited by sloan74; 05-17-2010 at 08:06 AM..
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the front end is really loose it's probably something more like your tie rod ends, ball joints, or unit bearings. I guess the steering stabilizer helps a little bit but if it's something that you're really noticing a $30 shock isn't going to fix it.

I own a steering stabilizer that I threw on because my front end was loose and had bump influenced steering. When I changed my tie rod/drag link I didn't bother re-installing it and it handles much better now.

Jack up your front end and see how much play your tires have (grab them and shake them violently).
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
NorCalPound916
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Amazing info, thanks for all the input!

I don't know the exact specs on the lift but it does appear to be suspension + body, if I had to guess I'd say there was at least 6" total. The tires are 33x12.5r15 mounted on some not so pretty Pacer wheels that are 15x8. Since these wheels are basically a giant dish and have no holes I can't see the rotor which is why I am assuming the brakes are shot regardless and plan to replace them. I suppose I will look into a stabilizer to see if that helps but will also try the tire shake as well, good tip!

Lastly, is there any "go to" place for fair priced jeep parts these days? Obviously for more mechanical stuff rather than equipment, as I see the majority of the forum sponsors are.
NorCalPound916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hange-1009078/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...gnment-994928/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...enance-728231/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...cement-903082/

And if you have a 4.0L/AX-15 '93 YJ,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...change-865490/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...change-865520/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
sloan74
2011 KK Liberty 

Yup use Max's guides. His are the best.

You can measure the black mounts (they look like big rubber washers) at where your body connects to the frame to see how much body lift you have. There are 3 visually on each side, just look up under the drivers side, etc. You will see them. I am guessing they are 2" tall. Note they are not at the bottom center there, that is your transmission mount.

If your running 33" you have at least a 3.5" susp lift. Look on the leaf springs (they are the big springs military wrapped via 4 u bolts on each axle) for some stickers or a logo or something, that will tell ya what kind of lift u have maybe?

Last edited by sloan74; 05-17-2010 at 11:20 AM..
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.