Steering stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering stabilizer

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
BigWillyStyle

Steering stabilizer

On 91 yj that has a 4 inch lift, does anyone know or have experience with upgrading steering stabilizer to stock location or using a dual steering stabilizer attached to tie rod extension , and frame.

BigWillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I dont but im also curious about this. I will be putting a 4 in lift on my 1991 here very shortly.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
BigWillyStyle

I was thinking of the rough country dual stabilizer series, but like I said it bolts on to the tie rod extension from pitman arm. The guy that had it before me had a dual skyjacker steering stabilizer,,,,big and bulky. The tie rod extension was bent. not sure if that thing got in the way or what. dont want to make the same mistake. plus want to keep the front end clean so would like to stick to stock location.
BigWillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You most definitely do not need dual steering stabilizers.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dual stabilizers will do you no good. If your stock one is shot you can replace it with a new one. One thing to remember is that for the most part, all stabilizers are the same. 50/50 pressurized. They aren't too easy to get the stock one out however. At least not on mine. But never the less, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lotta people don't even run with one. I had plans for a dual also but got informed on them by other members. I did however mess up and order one when placing a big order with Morris. Thought I had taken it out of the cart. So now I will run one but its not a dual. It's the RE single stabilizer. Do a search and you can determine then if running one for you is right.
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JB View Post
Lotta people don't even run with one. I had plans for a dual also but got informed on them by other members. I did however mess up and order one when placing a big order with Morris. Thought I had taken it out of the cart. So now I will run one but its not a dual. It's the RE single stabilizer. Do a search and you can determine then if running one for you is right.
I don't run one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
On 91 yj that has a 4 inch lift, does anyone know or have experience with upgrading steering stabilizer to stock location or using a dual steering stabilizer attached to tie rod extension , and frame.
That'd be really cool.

Steering stabilizers don't get mounted to the frame on a YJ unless you've got some sort of real oddball suspension geometry thing going on.

If you are experiencing bumpsteer due to the lift, a SS isn't the way to go. A drop pitman arm which has more drop than stock - is.

If you have wheel shimmy - you've got other issues that are going on & you won't want to mask them with a steering stabilizer.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I dont mean to thread jack but from what I am reading you dont need one? should I ditch mine and not replace it when I install my lift?
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.