Steering Shaft and Bearing Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Shaft and Bearing Replacement

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Steering Shaft and Bearing Replacement

Well after putting on my suspension lift and my body lift I found out that my steering shaft does not collapse or expand anymore ( i think it is suppose to) and my lower bearing has come out of the bottom of the firewall column (if that makes sense). So my question to you fellas is, what is a decent replacement steering shaft? One that will accomidate the new bodylift and some minor flexing (daily driver weekend wheeler). Also how does one get the old bearing off the bottom off the upper shaft? Is it pressed on? Or do you have to heat it up and beat it? Take the whole steering column out?

Thanks in advance!

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to reuse your steering shaft. It is just rusted together at the slip joint. Remove it and take it apart. Clean the slip joint and lube it. Are you saying just the inner bearing race is still on the steering column? The bearing will slide off of the steering column without heat or major force. Try spraying some penetrating oil on it. I got my replacement bearing from Quadratec. To get the steering shaft off completely remove the bolts on the u-joints and use a large chisel driven in the slot to loosen the grip so it came be slid off the shaft.
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well i can get my old shaft out... it put it under a post-lift at work and it won't slide at all! so the shaft is welded together. I didn't really try getting the bearing off as I was more concered about the steering shaft. i just didn't know if you had to pull the whole steering column out or not to change the bearing. Thanks!

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Does anyone have any experience with flaming rivers steering shafts?

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
Unread 11-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine when I did the durango box upgrade. My shaft was rusted solid. If you heat it up good with a torch you should get it loose. Mine came loose, but I decided to replace the shaft since my ujoints when junk as well. I went with a borgeson shaft. Much beefier than stock and better ujoints. They are in Torrington CT, but I believe quadratec has them as well as any keystone dealer can get them. $275 range.
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Would it work with a 1" bodylift?

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It should, but you could call them for the exact specs, and they can make a custom one if needed, just a longer inner shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.