Steering problems need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering problems need help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
aw121sfs

Steering problems need help

I have a 95 yj with 31'' tires and manual steering that I just recently got. It has after market shackles on it and the steering is so so. After reading some other forums I am pretty sure it is bump steering but not positive about that. when I am driving down the road I almost have to hold the wheel at the 2 o'clock position to keep it straight. but I am able to move it from 12 to 2 with very little movement on the road. However, if I go towards the 11 o'clock position the jeep will go that way. Also every now and then when I hit a bump in the road it will jerk. I know I need to start replacing stuff to get it running right but not sure where to start. Please can somebody "steer" me in the right direction?

aw121sfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
jeepinvader
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would start by checking all the joints in the steering components. Make sure they're all nice and tight. If you can spin them by hand, they need to be replaced. Also, I'm not sure if its for manual steering, power steering, or both, but there is a small bolt on top of the steering box that can be adjusted slightly to get rid of slop in the steering. here's a link.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...riteup-498155/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.