steering problems 92 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering problems 92 yj

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
33tjbogger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

steering problems 92 yj

hey everyone i have a 92 yj with 3.5 bds lift and bds 1" boom shackle lift everything is brand new all bushing everything i still have trac bars in front and rear with new poly bushings. well my jeep is all over the road and dont now what it could be can anyone help me out. thanks

33tjbogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
rustybeater
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is it doing is it pulling feeling like body roll in turns are you getting a wobble or a hop?
rustybeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
33tjbogger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

no hopping its pulling like crazy side to side cant keep it in straight line down the road look like im driving drunk down the road swerving. i dont have any body roll either. my wheel bearings are tight too and my tir rod ends are tight not loose at all
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I take it the Jeep didn't exhibit this problem prior to the lift. Are you running the same tires?

I installed a 4" RCD lift with 3/4" booms and didn't have any major problem. I did install an extended pitman arm to drop the drag link. Very small bump steer if i hit a good size bump above 40 mph or so. Running 33x10.5s.

Could be the lift is exaggerating bad tie rod ends, ball joints or wheel bearings. Easy enough to check those and go from there. Make sure you did not torque down the shackles and track bars before putting the weight of the Jeep back on the ground. You need to let everything settle in before you torque things down.
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33tjbogger View Post
no hopping its pulling like crazy side to side cant keep it in straight line down the road look like im driving drunk down the road swerving. i dont have any body roll either. my wheel bearings are tight too and my tir rod ends are tight not loose at all
When you reattached the track bars did the lift come with relocation brackets? You can't put it back in the stock location or you'll throw your axle positions off.
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
33tjbogger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

im running 31" pitbull growler tires my kit came with relocation brackets for the track bars and not i did not torque the track bars or the shackles before i set it on the ground. it has brand new ball joints and wheel bearings. and the steering is tight.
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Have your alignment checked and ditch the track bars. Check the steering box for play.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
33tjbogger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok with track bars out its not going to make it wonder more is it? ill check steering box for play
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
northernsimon
1994 YJ Wrangler 

got a buddy? get him to hop inside the jeep and turn the wheel, watch the steering shaft go into the steering box. if the pitman arm moves instantly. the box isn't your problem.

sooooo..what could it be? honestly, i'd put money on the steering shaft. the u-joints wear, and there's play.

other things to check? sticky ball joints/ bad tie rod ends and alignment (toe-in?) . but really, spend $100 on a steering shaft..............
northernsimon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
jonpin
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a steering problem with my 89 wrangler and my problem was the drag link at a bad angle let me refer you to my old thread I have videos too http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...rning-1234030/ jb4x4 high steer was what i needed my tie rod ends where fine was nothing to do with tie rod ends just letting you know if you read the thread it came up alot. hope it helps might not.
jonpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
SpikesHD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alignment!

Put the front wheels 1/16th to 1/8th of front toe-in and you'll be golden.

Toe out SUCKS!!!!!! All over the place.

Edit:

Like previous answers have stated - your track bars need to be GONE and your steering geometry needs to be as parallel from the front as possible.

Last edited by SpikesHD; 08-31-2011 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: More info.
SpikesHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.