Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering Issues

593 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Cassafrass 
#1 ·
Okay so I bought my YJ a while ago, it has a 3.5" suspension lift, 1.5" lift from shackles and a 2" body lift. The sway bars and trac bars aren't on. They also installed Hydraulic assict steering. I switched over from 36" IROKS to 35" BFGs and the steering got alittle better. I also rewelded alot of the steering boxes, gear boxes and stuff like that because they were all broken off. I just recently put wedges in the driveshaft and that helped a LOT. But its still so hard to steer. I mean its almost uncontrollable on the road. The steerings very loose and it pulls so bad. Eventually Im going to put the sway bar back on but it needs to have new brackets made so its taking me a while. Any suggestions on making the steering better. Thanks!

#5 ·
Caster angle can cause the Jeep to drive like that. Check the front and make sure the previous owner did not rotate the front pinion up. If this was done chances are the caster angle is bad out. The shackles you have installed can also take caster out of the front causing it to wonder all over the road.

Like mentioned before a few pics might help.

-Dan

#6 ·
Do you have a drop pitman arm or a TRE over ? Having a bad angle on the drag link will make the steering feel like it is trying to kill you. I have a couple of pics of the TRE over I just made some inserts out of some scrap steel I had lying around took me about 2.5 hrs from start to finish. The steering is much improved.

Dwayne

#7 ·
The castor angles good and I just put wedges in the rear. That helped incredibly along with the horrid vibrations. It was pretty much undrivable (word?) before that. You couldn't even keep it on the road. Its getting better but would like to see it improve a little. Im gonna take pictures of pretty much the whole jeep tomorrow. I'm not expecting it to be great but I would prefer it to be a little safer haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.