Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering gearbox help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Louie4 
#1 ·
Need help with steering gearbox issues.

1) went to try to replace leaking pitman arm seal, removed pitman arm and cleaned all the crap out of the bottom of the box only to find no snap ring? There appears to be some sort of ridge that is holding the seals and washers in but I can find no break in it at all that would indicate some sort of snap ring the are no ears or anything. Any input here would be helpful.

2) second issue thought Okay maybe take it out to maybe get a better look or just replace it. Removed three of the four bolts. the fourth was kind of blocked by a vertical bolt that holds a bracket that the sway bay attaches to I try to remove that bolt only to get about half way and have the captured nut in the frame break. Now what do I do, when I swapped out the transmission the belly pan the captured nuts for those broke and i cut the bolts and welded new nuts into the frame frome the bottom side but with this the bracket sits tight to the frame. Help Please

:brickwall:brickwall:brickwall

#2 ·
Don't you just love working on Jeeps!:D

I don't have much help for you. I've only replaced the steering shaft side seals, and it was a PITA also.

You could just cut the bolt, then remove the sway bar entirely. Just to see how she rides without it.

#3 ·
Had same problem when I removed my steering box. I was checking entire frame for rot, and was told the area behind steering box was a common spot for holes. Had one bolt break the weld-on nut loose, so I had to cut bolt off. After removing box, there was about a 2" round hole in frame caused by rust. Since this needed repaired anyway, I cut it out from top of frame to bottom, and was able to access the nut inside. Welded in new nut, and repaired frame; good as new.

#5 ·
When I worked at a shop we had a truck come in with a leaking steering box where the pitman arm is. He took a screw driver and fished the lock ring out then he filled up the power steering fluid and turned the wheel all the way until the seal blew out. As far as getting the snap ring out, just keep fooling with it or google it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.