Steering gearbox help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering gearbox help

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Steering gearbox help

Need help with steering gearbox issues.

1) went to try to replace leaking pitman arm seal, removed pitman arm and cleaned all the crap out of the bottom of the box only to find no snap ring? There appears to be some sort of ridge that is holding the seals and washers in but I can find no break in it at all that would indicate some sort of snap ring the are no ears or anything. Any input here would be helpful.

2) second issue thought Okay maybe take it out to maybe get a better look or just replace it. Removed three of the four bolts. the fourth was kind of blocked by a vertical bolt that holds a bracket that the sway bay attaches to I try to remove that bolt only to get about half way and have the captured nut in the frame break. Now what do I do, when I swapped out the transmission the belly pan the captured nuts for those broke and i cut the bolts and welded new nuts into the frame frome the bottom side but with this the bracket sits tight to the frame. Help Please

Dewster196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't you just love working on Jeeps!

I don't have much help for you. I've only replaced the steering shaft side seals, and it was a PITA also.

You could just cut the bolt, then remove the sway bar entirely. Just to see how she rides without it.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
warhog-06
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Had same problem when I removed my steering box. I was checking entire frame for rot, and was told the area behind steering box was a common spot for holes. Had one bolt break the weld-on nut loose, so I had to cut bolt off. After removing box, there was about a 2" round hole in frame caused by rust. Since this needed repaired anyway, I cut it out from top of frame to bottom, and was able to access the nut inside. Welded in new nut, and repaired frame; good as new.
warhog-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh Boy that sounds like fun. Yeah captured nuts (I feel like my Jeep has my nuts captured permantly)lol
Dewster196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I worked at a shop we had a truck come in with a leaking steering box where the pitman arm is. He took a screw driver and fished the lock ring out then he filled up the power steering fluid and turned the wheel all the way until the seal blew out. As far as getting the snap ring out, just keep fooling with it or google it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.