Steering Gearbox Adjustment Writeup - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Gearbox Adjustment Writeup

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #61
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeppoc View Post
Isn't that for power steering? I have manual steering.

I didn't know you had manual. I don't think XJ's came with manual boxes. Sorry.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #62
Jeeppoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So.....is this write up for Power Steering? I'm confused. I have manual steering and a lot of slack.
Jeeppoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #63
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can adjust a manual steering gearbox the same way.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #64
Jeeppoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
You can adjust a manual steering gearbox the same way.
ok. I did do that, and it didn't work, so I guess I'm going to replace it. Is it a direct replacement (bolts out bolts in)? Anything special I need to know? My kid rides in my Jeep with me, so I don't need to learn anything the hard way.
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #65
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing the gearbox with another stock one is pretty straight forward. On the install you will need another pair of hands to guide steering shaft on while you mount the gearbox. Get a friend, some hand cleaner and a couple of beers.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #66
Jeeppoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Replacing the gearbox with another stock one is pretty straight forward. On the install you will need another pair of hands to guide steering shaft on while you mount the gearbox. Get a friend, some hand cleaner and a couple of beers.
Cool, that's what I needed to hear. Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #67
Jeeppoc
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got it replaced. It was pretty much easy. A couple pointers for any other novices: Rent a pitman arm puller (AutoZone $15)
Before you do anything turn the wheels all the way left.
Turn the shaft on the new gear box all the way to the left.
A breaker bar and /or an impact wrench is recommended.
You will need help connecting the the steering shaft to the new gear.

My install worked great and solved the problem. I've been driving it all weekend. My steering wheel is even centered perfectly when driving straight.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #68
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this alond with heavy duty tie rod and drag link stuff, and WOW its so much better. I dont feel like im going to die at 60 mph anymore. It did take something like 3 turns of the adjustment screw to get it tight though.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #69
catnip15
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving an old thread,

I have a 02 TJ that has a slight pop feel in the steering wheel. I can grab the steering shaft where it connects into the gearbox and slightly wiggle it. Will adjusting this nut tighten it up or is that for a different purpose?
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #70
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It may tighten it up but be on the lookout for a new box.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #71
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Reviving an old thread,

I have a 02 TJ that has a slight pop feel in the steering wheel. I can grab the steering shaft where it connects into the gearbox and slightly wiggle it. Will adjusting this nut tighten it up or is that for a different purpose?
That "pop" feeling is generally from worn or dry tie rod ends. Pump 'em full of grease. If that doesn't help then you probably need new ends.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #72
CplTony
1991 YJ Wrangler 

WOW! I'll have fun checking this at the weekend
I was informed my steering gear had to be replaced at a cost of $1600 (dealership) due to a leak but I've got the part for $130 and I'll do the labor myself.
However upon announcing to a fellow Jeepster that I can turn my wheel about 1" before I get any resistance he sent me here screaming 'DANGER WILL ROBINSON'

Not sure if I should replace the whole thing as I have the part or just adjust it and see if it continues to leak.
I replaced the front pinion seal last weekend so now I'm not sure if I need to do anything to the steering gear except adjust it.
CplTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #73
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For less than $130 you could have gone to a junkyard and pulled a steering box off of a Durango or something else and replaced the whole thing.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #74
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I am not sure on what this will affect if you didn't touch it to begin with. But, I recently replaced my input shaft seals. And after installing everything back in, I had about 90 degrees of play that wouldn't even move the pitman arm. So after the horrifying highway drive home, 45mins at 110km. I decided this had to be fixed. I thought it might be an alignment issue, but soon gave up on that. I went to a shop and had them look at it. They said 1600 bucks and it will be fixed. I would have believed them, but the guy said my gearbox was leaking. I failed to mention I just fixed that the night before. So I got a little upset, and used my outside voice. Can't go back there. Did a post here, no one was quite sure. Turns out when I removed the input shaft lock ring, to remove the inner seal housing, I should have counted the turns on the housing. I guess I didn't tighten it up enough. This is the piece that the input shaft goes into, it has two holes on the top of it. All I had to do was turn that about two more turns and there I go, back to about 3/8" of play. Hope this may help someone. The tool needed to turn the housing is called a adjustable face pin spanner wrench. I got mine from snap on for 50 bucks. Hope this helps. Oh you need the one with the 5/32" pins.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
image-4074600648.jpg  
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #75
cmoore224
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I went swap my gear box out last night since I had a couple inches or so of play in my steering. As I went to loosen the bolt holding the shaft in the box I realized the bolt was not tightened down. Might want to check that last bolt going into the box before ripping the box out!! My steering is back on point!
cmoore224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.