Steering Gearbox Adjustment Writeup - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Gearbox Adjustment Writeup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
spiicytuna
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SonofSam02: great info I followed your instructions today with no problems.

spiicytuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #32
ccooper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't tried this yet, but I just bought my second YJ and had a CJ before that (so it's not a matter of just not knowing how a Jeep should feel vs. everything else) and it doesn't have a bunch of play, however, when you barely turn it REALLY turns. It makes it super squirly on the highway when trying to make small compensations for wind, pavement, etc. Someone suggested that the previous owner might have tried this fix to prolong the gear box life and that might be what's causing the super sensitive steering. Has anyone here experienced this? Trying not to have to buy a new gear box, but it may just be time. Thanks in advance.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #33
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I tightened up the steering on a ZJ it did exactly that so I would take the time and try loosening it just a bit. If it is not binding then keep in mind that it is close and keep a less is more mentality. 1/16 of a turn should make a significant difference, otherwise if that doesn't help you may want to check your alignment.

If you do need to get a new steering box then you may want to do some research on a Durango or Wagoneer box as I believe these are bolt in boxes that are stronger without any real increase in price.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #34
rob1208lv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

quick question before I do mine,

do I leave the steering wheel locked or unlocked or does it matter??
rob1208lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #35
rmwhite
1990 YJ Wrangler 

THAT just saved me ALOT of money. Thanks!
rmwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #36
Dfosco
1987 MJ Comanche 

steering gear

I have adjusted the steering gear and it feels good but what I noticed is that the bottom shaft comming out of the steering gear has some side to side play when turning the steering gear so I bought a new steering gear and the paperwork that came with it says its normal to have side to side play at that shaft does that sound correct to you guys?
Dfosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #37
EmptyInTheHead
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Adjusted - now leaking?

I just bought a 98 TJ. The steering was WAY too sensitive. I figured it was either caster or steering box adjustment, but it seems to track alright, so I adjusted the steering box allen nut on top about a 1/4 turn counter clockwise. That definitely solved the sensitivity problem, BUT now I notice the steering box is leaking. I'm sure it wasn't dripping at all before cause I've had it parked in the same spot in the drive for 3 days and there wasn't a spot until I adjusted it. OR I went 4 wheeling today (before the adjustment) and worked it out a bit. So, maybe it was always leaking but I wasn't driving it very hard?

So, my question is, is there any chance that adjusting the steering box could cause it to leak? And, what's it take to rebuild a steering box. I'm pretty adventurous mechanically, but I've never done anything like that. Do I need any pullers or anything? BTW: I"ve got power steering. I assume that matters.

EDIT: Looks like the rebuild is a PITA. I'll probably go for a rebuilt one. (I know should'a used search FIRST!) But I'm still curious if the adjustment could cause a leak...
EmptyInTheHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #38
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure you tightened down the nut on top all the way?

It is a lot easier to just buy a replacement box rather than rebuild it.
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #39
EmptyInTheHead
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSam02 View Post
Are you sure you tightened down the nut on top all the way?.
The nut is pretty darn tight. I didn't use a torque wrench but I hand tightened it at least as tight as it was, maybe 25-30fp?
EmptyInTheHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
weidmaier
2004 TJ Wrangler 

steeringgearbox018.jpg

Can any one tell me what the wire/metal thing behind the gear bod does? not the circled bolt but the wire that is held in by the clip. i bent mine a lot and i wonder if it affected my steering.
weidmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidmaier View Post
Attachment 181983

Can any one tell me what the wire/metal thing behind the gear bod does? not the circled bolt but the wire that is held in by the clip. i bent mine a lot and i wonder if it affected my steering.
It won't affect your steering but you might not be able to stop as easily!

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #42
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that would be a brake line. if its bent it might not be a big deal, if its pinched, its bad! post up a picture if you can.
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #43
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I wasn't trying to be an a**. I was about to edit my post to include some useful advise but he beat me to it. I'm still getting to know what things are on my Jeep after owning it for 6 mos. and workin on almost everything

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #44
adrianboehm
1991 YJ Wrangler 

nice job man..
im going out right now to fix mine, hope it gos smoothly
adrianboehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #45
beetlepunk21
1993 YJ Wrangler 

great post. The pics help a lot! thanks
beetlepunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.