Steering gearbox adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering gearbox adjustment

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
jaw41272
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Steering gearbox adjustment

I tried a search, but got little useful info other than that it is possible to do. I understand that you loosen the nut and adjust with an allen key, and very little makes a huge difference. The part that gets me is that there is a body panel that is directly over the adjusting point, does this panel come off? Have any of you done this adjustment without removing the gearbox?
Any help would be great, the box is too sloppy for my liking and I would like to try to adjust before I replace.
THANX,
John

91 Sahara 4.0l Operation Welcome Home Parade Veh #69
PARADE JEEP MEMBER #1Auto posi-lok equipped, 4" susp. lift
K&N Drop in and loaded with battle scars
www.americaisfull.com
FOR SALE 2005 PT CRUISER CONVERTIBLE
2005 Suzuki DRZ400S For SALE
jaw41272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Just remove the top plastic frame cover and you should have full access. Tis how I did it. And YES, very little makes alot of difference. I did it about4 times if I remember correctly. Drove it around the block between tries.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

hmmm....I'll have to try this.

In my ZJ, I used to be able to eat my breakfast from a cereal bowl while driving with my knee on my way to work.

....completely not possible in any way, shape, or form in my Wrangler.
tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.