Steering "Crunch".... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering "Crunch"....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Steering "Crunch"....

My Jeep just started making a faint "crunching" sound when I turn - sounds like it is coming from directly under the steering wheel itself in the column. Any idea what it could be? Is there an assembly of some sort to lube up or something that would break off in there? It almost sounds like something is scraping when I turn the wheel.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a bearing at the top of the steering shaft user the hood, pretty simple to swap out. Sounds like urs has mayb seen better days. Does ur wheel move up and down at all or feel looser than it should?
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19
There's a bearing at the top of the steering shaft user the hood, pretty simple to swap out. Sounds like urs has mayb seen better days. Does ur wheel move up and down at all or feel looser than it should?
No looseness or movement. Just a crunch. So this bearing is under the hood? My noise is literally just under the steering wheel in the column(or at least I think it is).

Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/column-bearing-kit-4487696k.html (takes me to the main page when clicked on but to the product when copied and pasted... hmmmm)

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...t-pics-741968/

This is what you are looking for. Did mine the other day about an hour or so and you need a friend to guid the steering shaft on while you reposition the gearbox in the mounts when you are done.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.