Steering "Crunch".... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Steering "Crunch"....

My Jeep just started making a faint "crunching" sound when I turn - sounds like it is coming from directly under the steering wheel itself in the column. Any idea what it could be? Is there an assembly of some sort to lube up or something that would break off in there? It almost sounds like something is scraping when I turn the wheel.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a bearing at the top of the steering shaft user the hood, pretty simple to swap out. Sounds like urs has mayb seen better days. Does ur wheel move up and down at all or feel looser than it should?
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19
There's a bearing at the top of the steering shaft user the hood, pretty simple to swap out. Sounds like urs has mayb seen better days. Does ur wheel move up and down at all or feel looser than it should?
No looseness or movement. Just a crunch. So this bearing is under the hood? My noise is literally just under the steering wheel in the column(or at least I think it is).

Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/column-bearing-kit-4487696k.html (takes me to the main page when clicked on but to the product when copied and pasted... hmmmm)

93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ on MT Beadlocks.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...t-pics-741968/

This is what you are looking for. Did mine the other day about an hour or so and you need a friend to guid the steering shaft on while you reposition the gearbox in the mounts when you are done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.