steering column ? swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering column ? swap?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

steering column ? swap?

will 96 xj work in my 88yj ? i have tilt with delay wipers ,gm key. what will work? thanks

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
om3ga83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

not sure about an xj but i got mine out of a fsj (grand waggy) all connections are the same.
om3ga83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3ga83 View Post
not sure about an xj but i got mine out of a fsj (grand waggy) all connections are the same.
what years? tilt? delay wipes?
thanks
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
om3ga83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The whole works it was an 89 wagoneer cruise, delay wipers, tilt...
om3ga83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3ga83 View Post
The whole works it was an 89 wagoneer cruise, delay wipers, tilt...
thanks for the info
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The whole column is based on a chevy S-10. Direct swap, as far as I know.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The whole column is based on a chevy S-10. Direct swap, as far as I know.
do you know what years? i'm going to pull-a-part this weekend & would like to know what years & cars to look for!! thanks for the info
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjjason View Post
do you know what years? i'm going to pull-a-part this weekend & would like to know what years & cars to look for!! thanks for the info
Sorry I don't. I read up on this a couple of years ago when I was thinking about an auto trans to manual swap and I remember that it was supposed to be a direct swap. Mid 80's , as I recall.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i put one a column that i believe was from a cherokee into my '91 YJ. I actually bought it thinking it was also from a YJ but the collapsing steering shaft was much much shorter than mine, so i guess its a Cherokee. Everything worked just fine with two exceptions- i had to cut material off the end of the tube near the bearing at the top of the steering shaft to get it to go into the hole in the YJ firewall and now my wipers are either all the way on or all the way off. Im going to try switching the wiper switch from my old column to the new one and see what happens. As far as i learned they are all GM based columns and are fairly interchangeable, just keep your old switches and wiring harness' and you should be fine. Also make sure you get one with a key or your going to have to change out your ignition cylinder.
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazyj View Post
i put one a column that i believe was from a cherokee into my '91 YJ. I actually bought it thinking it was also from a YJ but the collapsing steering shaft was much much shorter than mine, so i guess its a Cherokee. Everything worked just fine with two exceptions- i had to cut material off the end of the tube near the bearing at the top of the steering shaft to get it to go into the hole in the YJ firewall and now my wipers are either all the way on or all the way off. Im going to try switching the wiper switch from my old column to the new one and see what happens. As far as i learned they are all GM based columns and are fairly interchangeable, just keep your old switches and wiring harness' and you should be fine. Also make sure you get one with a key or your going to have to change out your ignition cylinder.
the problem with mine(88 yj) is the delay stopped working last week ,now the key cylinder is workinrg part time? so if i can find a swap that will work out of a yard, i think it would be cheaper than replacing parts for mine!!!! thanks for your info!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.