Steering column, retainer clip behind the wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering column, retainer clip behind the wheel

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Steering column, retainer clip behind the wheel

So been hearing this slight rubbing noise when i turn the wheel for years and finally decided to do something about it lol
Turns out the retaining clip thats behind the steering wheel and holds a gear resembling plate - seems like a metal circular clip - i think called a retainer clip.. Well it's been deformed somehow. Not sure how but it's pushing the gear looking plate (maybe a blinker canceling plate of some sort) at a very small angle and need to get a new one.

Been trying to locate on in the usual places, but can't for some odd reason. Does anyone know where i can find one?

atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is the clip.. Sorry just not sure what it is called:

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can probably just bend it back. It rides in a groove just make sure you get it seated in their.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm seemed pretty tough that old spring clip. I pulled it apart last nite and it snapped right back like nothing happened. I can try but i think it will break
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
Hmm seemed pretty tough that old spring clip. I pulled it apart last nite and it snapped right back like nothing happened. I can try but i think it will break
It won't break. It's called the "lock plate retaining spring". You'll likely have to compress the lock plate to expose the groove that it sits in. Any decent auto parts store will have the compression tool. Some still loan them out.

As long as it's out, you may want to see what the true cause of your grind is. If that clip was loose, you'd have a lot more issues than a grinding sound.

Oh, and if you have tilt wheel, DO NOT tilt the wheel while that clip is disengaged.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject

It won't break. It's called the "lock plate retaining spring". You'll likely have to compress the lock plate to expose the groove that it sits in. Any decent auto parts store will have the compression tool. Some still loan them out.

As long as it's out, you may want to see what the true cause of your grind is. If that clip was loose, you'd have a lot more issues than a grinding sound.

Oh, and if you have tilt wheel, DO NOT tilt the wheel while that clip is disengaged.
Yup did that last nite. The problem was that the clip was deformed and the lock plate was sitting at a slight angle because of it. Just wasn't flush with the groove. So thats why i wanted to get a new one. And no luck finding one so far.

Thanks for the heads up on the tilt man did not know that.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this it?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...491258_0_1234_

Looks like that retainer on the pic. Sucks its not just the retainer but can't find anything else...
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really tried to straighten it up lol not working out for me. Dang thing is deformed in a weird way and it's impossible to get it straight.

$6 from the dealer and will be here tomorrow morning. Thanks guys!
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got it on there and the steering is smooth as butter kind of unusual to have things working out this easy lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.