steering column lower bearing replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering column lower bearing replacement

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

steering column lower bearing replacement

Has anyone replaced the lower steering column bearing? Mine is shot. Can it be replaced without removing the steering column. I was thinking if i could remove the shaft to the gearbox I may be able to get to the bearing.

Unread 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney View Post
Has anyone replaced the lower steering column bearing? Mine is shot. Can it be replaced without removing the steering column. I was thinking if i could remove the shaft to the gearbox I may be able to get to the bearing.
If this address is working, it will give you a step-by-step write-up to repair your steering column.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I can not get the link to work.
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

That was the link I was going to post up. I have that writeup coppied onto my home machine. I will have my brother post it up tomorrow when he is at my house. I am somewhat indesposed at the moment with my son in the hospital.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do not worry about the post Rustywrangler. You have much more important things to take care of at this time. I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
philly5eagle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just replace mine today. Mark the the shaft and the ends it attaches to with a marker so you know where to line it back up to when you reinstall it. I took the bolt at the top of the shaft out and the one at the bottom where it attaches to the steering box. Then, take a big flat head screw driver and put it in the opening at each end of the shaft (a split in the ends of the shaft) and pry them apart as much as possible. Then take a hammer and hit the shaft below the u joint and drive the shaft up(towards the bearing you are going to remove). You have to drive it up as far as it will go. Basically up to the bearing. Each time you have to keep prying that spilt apart and hitting it with a hammer. Just find a spot around the ujoint that you can hit with the hammer to drive it up. Once you get it up to the bearing you will be able to pull the shaft off the bottom where it attaches to the steering box. You may need to push on it a little. Then the fun part of driving the shaft down and off of the other end. May help to have someone pulling down on the shaft while you hammer it. (had my 15 year pulling) Once you have it off you can get to the bearing. Be patient with the hammering etc. It will come off.

Pull the clip (snapring) on the column off. Then pull the cap off (retainer) and then you can pull the bearing and the white thing out(lower bearing adaptor). You will probably have to pry it out with a screwdriver and just work it back and forth. Once it is out put the new bearing in the new white part and put them both on the column. Pry the new retainer on until the holes line up. Put the snapring on and reinstall the shaft.

Not bad. Took me about 45 mins and that was only b/c I was trying to figure out how to get it off. Just be patient. Someone else may have a different way or say this was wrong but it worked for me I just did it about 6 hours ago.
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgurney View Post
Do not worry about the post Rustywrangler. You have much more important things to take care of at this time. I hope everything goes well for you.

Already asked em to do it. Not a big deal man. He was gonna be there for the pets anyway.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 02-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Here ya go man: http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Unread 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. I have a bearing ordered and will be doing this soon. To rustywrangler, I am glad to here Jacob is home and doing well.
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine also. It was pretty stuck on the lower end of the steering colunm. Be sure the steering wheel doesn't get turned when you disconnect the shaft to the gearbox. I used the lock on the wheel and a bungie for extra measure. The bearing uses an O ring to hold it firmly on the lower shaft and the clip holds the race in place. It's tricky trying to pry on it with the brake booster in the way. I skinned a knuckle or 2 or 3.
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Windsma
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OMMFG! I am in so much pain after replacing my lower column bearing. It took about 3 hrs. First i tried to take the steering shaft apart. Not happening. I got the old bearing apart and saw that the inner bearing collar was rusted/welded to the shaft , HA , After 1.5 hrs I gave up and decided to remove the entire steering column. A few bolts later it was out. I had to use a chisel and hammer the old bearing off of the shaft. Installed the new bearing set. Reinstalled the column. ( the jeep is not my old 3000gt when it comes to laying on the floor board and working under the dash OUCH! ) Eventually got he shaft to align w/the column. Buttoned everything up and now its easier to steer b/c of less binding in the ujoints and shaft.
[CENTER][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club Member #1981
Burlington, North Carolina[/COLOR]
1990 Wrangler 2.5L bought 3/10/08
70 Camaro RS Dragcar. Watch it fly:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vL6Ilmdtc4[/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by Windsma; 03-18-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Windsma is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.