steering column? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering column?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
89yj4life
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yo guys quick question. n i know there's a specific place on the forum for this but i need a answer asap. i have an 89 yj and in the steering column theres the two rods one on the wiper toggle and the other for the key cylinder. the key cylinder rod came out the back of the column and it was set under the 2 wire plug boxes. idk how to install the rod back in can anyone give me some thoughts? greatly appriciated bruddas!!

Last edited by 89yj4life; 08-20-2013 at 07:12 PM..
89yj4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look at you tube,search for s10 steering column repair.
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's more than you ever want to know about Saginaw steering columns

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

JBolty has given you the definitive site to solve your problem. If the rods have fallen out, you have some bigger issues. They are attached to other pieces. The lock one has a toothed rack at the top near the cylinder and the wiper rod that leads to the hi beam switch has a follower that the wiper switch presses on. Sounds like your column was about to come apart, possibly from the main screws deep inside being loose. It will be easier to pull the column and repair it. Since it seems you are from yo yo PA, good luck with those rusty bolts.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.