Steering box or steering pump broken - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering box or steering pump broken

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
macfero
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steering box or steering pump broken

Hi guys.
I own a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5 l.
Few days ago I noticed I had a leak oil in the right of the front left wheel. I looked more closely and I saw the leak under the hood. I checked the oil in the ship power steering. It was below the minimum. Until today there have been no oil leaks but the steering wheel turns hard.
The steering box might be broken ? It could be reconditioned?

Thanks

macfero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I believe they can be rebuilt. I just added power steering to my 90yj with a 2.5 and used a cherokee ps box and pitman arm from the wrecking yard. Direct swap.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Refill the oil reservoir and find the leak. It might be a hose or a connection etc.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The leak may be allowing air into the system which will render the system inoperable. Fill the system and fine the leak and fix it. After you fix it turn the wheel all the way to the left and fill the reservoir then turn it all the way to the right and and back to the left about 10 times checking the fluid level each time and filling up as needed. After doing this start the Jeep and see if you have power steering again. It is very rare that a gear box will need refurbished unless it leaks any play can normally be removed, so if you still have no power steering more than likely your pump has been damaged due to a lack of fluid.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.