Steering box seating - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
ad2_12

Steering box seating

I just installed a new steering box but when I went to tighten the intermediate shaft to the gear box, you can see a little bit of the teeth on the box. Should it be seated all the way to the end of the spline? There is the main teeth that are about an inch long and then a little gap with no teeth and then another set of teeth that are about a quarter inch long. Should the column be all the way up to the front teeth? I normally take pictures before I disassemble for reference but I dropped the ball this time. I'll attach a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
15029901958641821204179_1502990256174.jpg   1502990280351195593986_1502990317261.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That bolt should go in the indent on the gearbox shaft. You need to lengthen the telescoping steering shaft.

Good luck with that. It's probably rusted in place quite well. There are threads on here that tell how other guys did it, but it isn't easy.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #3 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Blob
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Agree w/Mr. B....that bolt should seat in that channel.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
ad2_12

So it should cover the entire gap that is there or go all the way up to the gear box?
post #5 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
ad2_12

So go all the way up and almost touch the gear box?
post #7 of 18 Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 18 Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
ad2_12

Thank you for your help. I'll work on seating it the rest of the way
post #9 of 18 Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2_12 View Post
Thank you for your help. I'll work on seating it the rest of the way
Your questions sound like you are focused only on whether to slide the shaft all the way to the box. As pointed out above, you want to remove the bolt, position the shaft so that the bolt goes back in through that groove around the gearbox shaft. That will be a lot closer to the box, although not necessarily touching against it.

The bolt is probably blocking you from sliding the shaft further, as it should. It goes in after its hole lines up with the groove and effectively "pins" the shaft's clamp in place.
timatoe likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
The bolt is probably blocking you from sliding the shaft further, as it should. It goes in after its hole lines up with the groove and effectively "pins" the shaft's clamp in place.
Exactly, it won't go all the way down with the bolt in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
ad2_12

I was making my adjustments with bolt out but come to think of it, I had the steering wheel strapped in place and I wonder if that had any effect on me being able to slide it further. S o if in understanding it correctly, the bolt hole should be lined up with where the gap in the teeth are. Is this correct?
post #12 of 18 Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
ad2_12

Update:

I just got back from trying to adjust the column. I got it to go considerably further down and couldn't get it to go down any further. Let me know if you think it is seated far enough so I can tighten the bolt up. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
20170818_175641_1503104814562.jpg   20170818_175738_1503104851151.jpg  
post #13 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, not far enough. Like I said in my first post, that steering shaft that you're attaching to the gearbox is telescoping. It's a PITA to get to move though.

See the red arrow in this pic? that is where the shaft will telescope.

Do some searching, there's a few threads that will tell you what guys did to get it to move.

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 18 Old 08-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple of threads that might help you. It took me just a couple minutes of searching to find them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...shaft-4131409/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...tions-4090545/

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 18 Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 AM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

A vice, torch and a BFH will get you there. Eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.