steering box mount stripped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering box mount stripped

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
steelman10
1990 YJ Wrangler 

steering box mount stripped

My steering starteted to act strange lately so I crawled under to look. both of the bolts on the bottom of the gear box mounting bracket that go into the frame were missing. when I went to replace them one just fell out. Any easy fix.?

steelman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the threads are stripped, why not replace the bolts with grade 8 bolts and nuts?
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
srdart67
2002 WJ 

You could smother the ends in jb weld or panel bond but I would just get a new gear box to be SAFE. I had mine come off the frame rails goin down the highway and it pitched me on my side!
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, the "nut" is a four-sided nut that is welded to the frame from the inside. I had one break loose and the only way to fix was to use a torch to cut an access hole in the side of the frame adjacent to the mounting hole. Then, weld another nut over the hole, then weld the access hole shut and grind to pretty it up.
It isn't very difficult, but you do need the torch, the welder and the skills to do the job. Otherwise, you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.