Steering Box Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Box Mount

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Steering Box Mount

I replaced a manual steering box with power steering and I'm having problems with the underside mounting bolts becoming loose over time.
The first time this happened it actually broke a bolt. This second time, I caught it before it became a big issue as I discovered it during replacement of the high pressure line.
I've torqued to spec, but have not used thread locker. I plan on removing the current bolts, applying thread locker, and then re-torqu.
Is this a common issue? If so, is there a common fix?

Unread 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can't say I've heard it being a common problem. Check the frame around the mounting holes to see if there are any cracks. If everything looks good, put a few drops of blue thread locker on the bolts like you were thinking.

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.