Steering box leaking; repair or replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering box leaking; repair or replace

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steering box leaking; repair or replace

Well, those small spots at the front of my Jeep in the parking lot at work became a bit bigger, and led me to find that my steering box seal is leaking. The next step seems to be a bit of an issue, since searching the subject shows that all the alternatives have issues.

Repair: From what I have found, the rebuild kits are the lowest cost of course, but they may not work well, and I still end up with a 24 year old box that does't leak, (hopefully).

Replace with a re-man unit. These seem to be hit or miss as far as quality goes; perhaps a decent brand can be recommended.

Durango swap: Looks good at $25 from the local U-Pull, (if they have one), but this swap has it's own issue; the increased turning radius.

What has everyone here done, and are you happy with your results?

EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had to replace my steering box a few months ago. Opted for a reman unit from the local parts store. Once my buddy helped break the pitman arm free, everything went well. Being a direct replacement, it wasn't that bad of a job and the new unit works just fine. Didn't feel like a rebuild was in my wheel house of technical expertise. LOL

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go with Durango box it is a much better unit! I just did it and it is just as easy as a replacement.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77 View Post
Go with Durango box it is a much better unit! I just did it and it is just as easy as a replacement.
Have you noticed the increased turning radius, or is it minimal?
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the lower seals (pitman arm shaft) almost 2 years ago. It took about an hour & cost less than $20. Not a drop since.

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77
X2 on the Durango box, works like a champ.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoore-on
I replaced the lower seals (pitman arm shaft) almost 2 years ago. It took about an hour & cost less than $20. Not a drop since.
Same here, about 3 months ago. It does seem like I may have caught it a but too late for mine. As she still gets a bit of a growl now and then. But yup, bone dry. Just waiting to do my engine swap and ill do the Durango swap while the engine is out and have some elbow room. Along with a new steering shaft.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did a seal replacement about six years ago, and haven't had a problem since. I only replaced the seal for the steering shaft. I think the seal kit cost $6 at Napa.

From what I've read, you lose turning radius with a Durango box.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone done the re-seal without removing the box? It looks as if you can remove the pitman arm and snap ring, the fire it up and turn the wheels back and forth until the pressure blows the seal out, then replace. I would definitely give this a shot since it is less expensive and cuts down on the work involved.
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Has anyone done the re-seal without removing the box? It looks as if you can remove the pitman arm and snap ring, the fire it up and turn the wheels back and forth until the pressure blows the seal out, then replace. I would definitely give this a shot since it is less expensive and cuts down on the work involved.
I did not remove the box. Removed the pitman arm and then I drilled a hole in the 2 seals and drove a long wood screw into it and pulled it out that way!

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
Have you noticed the increased turning radius, or is it minimal?
I have noticed no change in radius, just a much better feel to the steering wheel, and NO lock ups on the trail.
Built not Bought #759
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77

I have noticed no change in radius, just a much better feel to the steering wheel, and NO lock ups on the trail.
X2, the only people who claim there is steering loss, don't run one on their jeep. I get a full 1 1/2 turns of the steering wheel, it ends at the same spot it did stock. My stock box was garbage tho, I tried several others n all seemed to fail except the Durango box. I had pump issues too tho, upgraded my pump to one from a 4.7l WJ and now i can steer with my pinky even locked in 4wd. Durango box is way more responsive than my yj box as well, if u don't pay attention offroad it'll spin back n about rip ur hand off if its inside the steering wheel and not gripping the outside.
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19

X2, the only people who claim there is steering loss, don't run one on their jeep. I get a full 1 1/2 turns of the steering wheel, it ends at the same spot it did stock. My stock box was garbage tho, I tried several others n all seemed to fail except the Durango box. I had pump issues too tho, upgraded my pump to one from a 4.7l WJ and now i can steer with my pinky even locked in 4wd. Durango box is way more responsive than my yj box as well, if u don't pay attention offroad it'll spin back n about rip ur hand off if its inside the steering wheel and not gripping the outside.
What year Durango did you pull from? As late 90's as possible?

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

98 or 99, had a v8 magnum engine in it, that's all that matters I believe. Make sure it's a v8 n u should b good. I paid $45 bucs for it at the upullit yard.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
98 or 99, had a v8 magnum engine in it, that's all that matters I believe. Make sure it's a v8 n u should b good. I paid $45 bucs for it at the upullit yard.
Make sure it does not have the snow plow package.

Another tid bit about the turning radius at full turn my 35's hit the frame so there is defiantly no loss in steering.
Built not Bought #759

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.