Steering binding? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Steering binding?

Ok guys here is a question for you. All of a sudden I am starting to get some binding in my steering. I found the ball joint at the pitman arm was shot(rusty and not taking grease) so I replaced that. I still have the binding after replacement. Everything else is lubed and I don't get any play in the ball joints when I jack it up and try to wiggle the tires. Anybody got any ideas? Got to get it fixed so that it's ready for Crawl for the Cure and I still have to put my lift in. Thanks!

1997 TJ, 5" IRO front with 4.5" HD IRO WJ rear, 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, JKS disconnects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That could be several things. It might be best to have someone visual the steering under the front of the jeep, while steering the wheel back and forth in the cab and see if you can spot the problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Does it bind-free up-bind-free up-bind? The lower steering shaft has bad U joints and should be replaced. The U joints are not available.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Laybackman...sprayed the two ujoints on the steering shaft down good with PB Blaster and went for a ride today. No binding at all...so now I'm going to keep an eye out for YJs getting parted out and see if I can pick one up cheap.

Gave you a thumbs up for this one.

1997 TJ, 5" IRO front with 4.5" HD IRO WJ rear, 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, JKS disconnects
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Laybackman...sprayed the two ujoints on the steering shaft down good with PB Blaster and went for a ride today. No binding at all...so now I'm going to keep an eye out for YJs getting parted out and see if I can pick one up cheap.

Gave you a thumbs up for this one.
It was my pleasure to help you.

I figured it was one of those little buggers binding up. I had this happen to me once on my old '89 YJ. I 'fixed it' the same way.....silicone spray!

The 'rythmic' binding is usually the dead give away for a bad U joint(s) in the lower steering shaft.

Glad to be of help fellow Jeeper!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.