Steering binding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering binding?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Steering binding?

Ok guys here is a question for you. All of a sudden I am starting to get some binding in my steering. I found the ball joint at the pitman arm was shot(rusty and not taking grease) so I replaced that. I still have the binding after replacement. Everything else is lubed and I don't get any play in the ball joints when I jack it up and try to wiggle the tires. Anybody got any ideas? Got to get it fixed so that it's ready for Crawl for the Cure and I still have to put my lift in. Thanks!

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That could be several things. It might be best to have someone visual the steering under the front of the jeep, while steering the wheel back and forth in the cab and see if you can spot the problem.
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does it bind-free up-bind-free up-bind? The lower steering shaft has bad U joints and should be replaced. The U joints are not available.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Laybackman...sprayed the two ujoints on the steering shaft down good with PB Blaster and went for a ride today. No binding at all...so now I'm going to keep an eye out for YJs getting parted out and see if I can pick one up cheap.

Gave you a thumbs up for this one.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Laybackman...sprayed the two ujoints on the steering shaft down good with PB Blaster and went for a ride today. No binding at all...so now I'm going to keep an eye out for YJs getting parted out and see if I can pick one up cheap.

Gave you a thumbs up for this one.
It was my pleasure to help you.

I figured it was one of those little buggers binding up. I had this happen to me once on my old '89 YJ. I 'fixed it' the same way.....silicone spray!

The 'rythmic' binding is usually the dead give away for a bad U joint(s) in the lower steering shaft.

Glad to be of help fellow Jeeper!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.