Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
ImpulseJeep

Steering

Hey!
I just bought a 92 wrangler, 4.0 6 cylinders. As soon as I got home and turned it off I tried to turn it back on but nothing fortunantly it was an old alarm in the engine so I dropped it off for inspection and the mechanic said all was good I just need to tighten the steering. When I google it everyone says to go under the car and adjust the gear box. I thought there was something to replace in the steering wheel its self? Not sure if that's true or not if anyone can help me out. Thanks

ImpulseJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The steering covers a whole lot of parts. Lol, what needs tightening? Stay far away from that little screw and locknut on top of the steering box, that just sets the gear preload, tighten it and you kill the box, sooner than later. There is a left right adjuster plug, but is that what is loose or do your tie rod ends/ball joints/ bushings/ or, need attention?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but from the steering wheel:
1. there is a bearing at the bottom of the steering column (where it connects to the top of steering shaft)
2. the steering shaft (which has non serviceable u-joints in it)
3. a bearing at the top of the steering box (where the lower steering shaft connects)
4. gear box- eh
5. tie rod (from pitman to top of draglink)
6 tie rod (from lower draglink to passenger tie rod)
7. Passenger side tie rod
8. tie rod adjusting sleeve
9. driver side tie rod.
10. Ball joints
11. and for good measure steering stabilizer.

My steering needed tightened up and I ended up replacing everything from #5 - 11. But my goodness the steering is tighter than any new car I've ever drove.
ShadowSentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
ImpulseJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The steering covers a whole lot of parts. Lol, what needs tightening? Stay far away from that little screw and locknut on top of the steering box, that just sets the gear preload, tighten it and you kill the box, sooner than later. There is a left right adjuster plug, but is that what is loose or do your tie rod ends/ball joints/ bushings/ or, need attention?
If only I knew what I was talking about. The steering column itself is not loose... I think. when driving and making a turn it at first had pressure to turn, it was 'tight' and now when making a turn it could change from that tight steering to loose and the steering wheel moves pretty freely. I can feel it when going straight also but not as much since I'm not moving anything. I don't think this affects it but atm my steering wheel is not lined up straight when the tires are forward my steering wheel is turned to the right a bit.
ImpulseJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Naturally there is a 1 inch space where the steering wheel does nothing when turning it. have you checked for play in the components (tie-rod up/down movement, Ball joint movement, and steering shaft movement?) because recently I had a similar issue and it turned out to just be original parts that were toast. Also If I read it correctly, when the track bar (a binding factor) comes loose or is taken off it will change the position of the steering wheel I believe to the right, which it did to mine. when turning in a parking lot with the steering wheel all the way over do you hear a pop of any kinda? Re-centering the steering wheel is just a matter of loosing the bolts on the drag link and turning it to straighten the wheel up.
ShadowSentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseJeep View Post

If only I knew what I was talking about. The steering column itself is not loose... I think. when driving and making a turn it at first had pressure to turn, it was 'tight' and now when making a turn it could change from that tight steering to loose and the steering wheel moves pretty freely. I can feel it when going straight also but not as much since I'm not moving anything. I don't think this affects it but atm my steering wheel is not lined up straight when the tires are forward my steering wheel is turned to the right a bit.
The first symptom matches a seized up U-joint at the axle end behind the wheel. To check them, jack up one wheel with the steering turned to the side and hand turn the wheel. If you feel it grab, you probably have found that issue. Do each side.

The steering wheel off a bit can be the result of a lift settling in or parts not put on perfect. There is a drag link to adjust on the for from the steering box to the tie rods. This has two bolts to loosen and a sleeve that turns. This only adjust the steering wheel placement.

You had it inspected, do I wouldn't suspect really worn parts to make the wheel go off, but... It might be worth it to lay under and watch everything while someone pins the steering side to side anyway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.