Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Steering

Ok, new Jeep owner here, but life-long Jeep fanatic...

I have a '94 Wrangler S 4-cyl. 5-speed, and the issue I have is that when I turn the wheels all the way one direction, it's fine... but when I return to center, drive a little bit, then turn the opposite direction I have a spot in the steering where the wheels don't respond right away... sort of a delayed reaction to turn the other direction.

After I turn the wheel far enough, the wheels "catch up" and I turn fine... but this delay has me a bit worried. Also, after turning either direction, the steering wheel is off center that direction. If I turn right, the wheel is pointing like I'm constantly turning right... and vice versa for left.

Traveling down the road in a straight line, the Jeep doesn't pull either direction, so I don't think it's an alignment issue. Unfortunately, the only previous 4x4 experience I have is a '72 K/5 Blazer, an '85 and an '89 Ford full-size, and an '88 S-10 Blazer. None of which had the same steering/suspension setup as this Jeep.

Any ideas of what I should look for? This Jeep sat for a long time before I came across it, and runs/drives fine except for this.

BlueDanube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds like a wierd problem.
So it dosen't do it at the center but its almost as if it just stops turning?
I would check the power steering fluid first then the steering linkage, gear box
and steering shaft. Does it feel like just the steering wheel is turning and nothing else is? Maby there is something broken in the colum.
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe getting an alignment? Sorry,misread your post. Don't seem like alignment issue.

Last edited by erockz; 04-06-2010 at 11:28 PM..
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
frank-id

Steering tests

Park on a level spot. Use a floor jack and raise the front. Sitting in seat, engine off, wheels straight ahead, turn steering wheel from left to right and try to feel amount of free play in steering box. On top of steering box, there is a stud with a slot and locking nut. Hold stud slot and loosen lock nut 3-6 turns. A helper is needed for good adjustment.
Helper feels steering free play and continues to rock steering wheel left and right until free play is reduced then gone. Turning stud with large screwdriver will slowly remove all free play. Too much tension is not good. If possible add some 50 W synthetic engine oil. This oil is wonderful in steering all gear differentials and transmissions that are manual. Oil distributors sell syn oil for about 5 gallons for about $100. Really good product.
Frank in Idaho
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^ He is referring to adjusting the gear box, as noted here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...riteup-498155/

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try adjusting the gearbox later today. Thanks for the replies, everyone!
BlueDanube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.