steel horse hard tops? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steel horse hard tops?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
jeeping18

steel horse hard tops?

iv been looking into the sierra and targa top from steel horse and was wondering if anyone had any info about the 2 tops? id appreciate any thoughts!

-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
-3:73 gears
also a 2000 TJ
jeeping18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2002, 01:05 PM   #2
HUBDEEP
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't buy anything from Steel Crap. It won't fit, it'll leak, or will have something else wrong with it. All of their stuff is crap.

My $.02
clicky-->Maryland OHV Trails Info
HUBDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2002, 03:55 PM   #3
QueenYJ

I will tell you this much. I have installed the Steel Horse Targa Top on my baby for the winter and I have to say I was in total shock. Let me preface this by saying I would rather rather drink vinegar than order anything from Steel Horse. I love this hard top! I also had to order the window sliders because I sold my full steel doors and kept the half steel doors. Amazingly everything fit absolutely perfectly. No gaps, or leaks whatsoever, no kidding. It is also nicely carpeted on the inside making it mucho quieter than the factory version. The only, repeat, only reason I bought this was because I had to have the targa top feature. I hate having any top on but I'll most likely be moving back North again and I'll need the hard top. As far as the window sliders they were redesigned and improved for this year but the rear section is still the only section that opens. This has not been a problem, the opening is large enough for what I've needed to do. This top is secured entirely with all quick release latches, no bolts at all and it has a ton of rubberized weather stripping throughout. When I say it was a perfect fit I mean it. I'm still pinching myself because I was so pleasantly surprized. The only other targa out there is made by Pavement Ends and it is a knock off of the Steel Horse. If we all think Steel Horse is bad I would say doubly so for Pavement Ends. I'm tellin you this is a great versatile top for the money, for real. There are some rocket scientists out there who have messed up the finishes on their targa's and it is not a Steel Horse problem. The directions specifically say not to use waxes or armour all on the finish as they are not silicon based such as the recommeded Black Magic cleaner/protectant. I certainly have no intention of sounding like an infomercial for the Steel Horse Targa top but mine really is that good. Just my .02
Unread 01-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #4
Darko

Thats good that someone liked that hartop.

I DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!

One of my buds installed a 2 piece hardtop with upper halfes from steel horse. It fit like crap!! I like the look on the hard top, but its the biggest piece of **** ive ever seen. ALl of the screws holding the 6 big paddle locks at the tub are stripped, and the two latches that hold to the windshild frame are messed up, one of them holds fine, but the other is wayyy to loose, and doesn't clamp down anything. One of the clips holding in the front half ripped out on the same side as the large paddle lock, so when you drove that one side lifted 3" in the air, so we used 16GA wire to tie it down to the rollbar. The front section doesn't seal out wind, and driving the Jeep is like being strapped to the wing of a airplane. The Fiberglass Uppers are garbage. They wouldn't close all the way becuase they rubbed the top of the hardtop. There are 3 big knobs that hold them into the door. For those 3 big knobs to bolt in their are plastic pieces that slide into the half door, they all broke, all 6 of them on both sides, and they are not fastented to the doors any more. THIS TOP IS A PIECE OF ****. DO NOT BUY IT. I'm happy QueenYJ had good luck, but a company that produced this piece of garbage, then sells it for $2000 should be killed, then killed again. What a piece of garbage. Their soft tops are **** too. DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!! I saw Fleet air hardtops in the catalouge, and thats the route I would take If I went for a aftermarket hard top. You should be able to find a factory YJ hardtop for less than $800, that Is the route I would take.

PS. DON'T BUY THE FU*KING HARD TOP
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:01 PM   #5
jeeping18

thank you both for the info, but now im so damn confused i dont know what to think. but i do know darko was very persuasive. ill probably start to look for used tops, ill keep you updated
-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
also a 2000 TJ
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
rayray

If you value your money, stay away from "Steal" Horse. I have yet to personally see anything from them that was worth a s***.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2002, 11:23 PM   #7
ImNotRyan

funny, this should come up... i was just reading reviews on 1994 jeeps and one of the cons one review listed was "some aftermarket parts are junk (steel horse)"

i have no personal experience with this company... but theres enough warning signs to steer clear as far as im concerned
Unread 01-11-2002, 11:58 PM   #8
Darko

Quote:
If you value your money, stay away from "Steal" Horse. I have yet to personally see anything from them that was
worth a s***.
Actually, I got matching front and rear tube bumpers, They are the nicest looking bumpers I've seen, and are in stainless finish. I have also heard good things about the seats, and I like their Jumbo center console.

It is sick though, that for $2000 you get a piece of Junk that lasts 1 year
Unread 01-12-2002, 12:40 AM   #9
-D-

I have a steel horse center large center console. It is basically the BIGGEST thing you can possibly fit as a center console and works pretty good, plenty of room. I hear a lot of bad things about steel horse so I'm afraid of getting the sierra top for my YJ, but I was looking at it as well. I'd be interested to hear from other people with this top. Someone at school has one and it looks fairly nice on his YJ, but I haven't talked to him about it.
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2002, 12:30 PM   #10
jeeping18

so far all i hear is not to get a steel horse top but does anyone have any hard tops they like? if anyone knows about the PAVEMENT ENDS hard top letme know!
thanks
-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
also a 2000 TJ
Unread 01-14-2002, 01:12 PM   #11
rayray

Quote:
Originally posted by jeeping18:
so far all i hear is not to get a steel horse top but does anyone have any hard tops they like? if anyone knows about the PAVEMENT ENDS hard top letme know!
thanks
IMO, first pick would be a factory YJ top. If that's not an option, get a factory CJ top.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2002, 07:21 PM   #12
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Be very careful when purchasing anything from Steelhorse. I don't know what their problem is but they can't seem to follow factory guidelines in manufacturing most of their products. Hardly does anything fit wihtout having to modify it somewhat. The only good luch I have had with them is buying their acrylic accessories like the fender guards or rain guards.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2002, 07:44 PM   #13
Darko

why don't you check out fleet air hardtops, they are a hundered bucks more, but look like a real nice hard top. They are also 2 piece.
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:37 PM   #14
axle

i think everyone has said plenty, so i won't give you my complete list of steel horse garbage. i've sent most of the accessories i purchased from steel horse back..... and their customer service is about as good as their products..
axle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:49 PM   #15
jeeping18

thanks for all the info, but i think im gonna look for a yj factory hard top or lookin into the fleet air 1 piece if anyone has one let me know!
-2.5 INCH PRO-COMP LIFT
-31X10.50 PRO-COMP MUD'S
-15X8 EAGLE ALLOYS
also a 2000 TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.