starts without a key now wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starts without a key now wont start

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
max1010
1989 YJ Wrangler 

starts without a key now wont start

My 89 hasn't had a key in the ignition since I purchased it. It usually will start but sometimes it will just click when I turn the switch. I can repeatedly turn the switch on and off until it starts but now it is dead. Is the switch finally bad or does it drain the battery since it isn't working correctly?

max1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would say the swich is probably bad but put a multimeter on the battery to see the charge and you can test some other wires to verify the switch is bad before you buy anything unneeded
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll go out on a limb & say the switch was bad before you bought it.

Not sure what would have had you think it was okay to use it without a key unless somebody gave you some sort of BS story.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you say it clicks, does it click in the steering column from turning the key, or does it click under the engine from the starter solenoid or starter?

If it is clicking under the engine, then it is either the battery or the starter solenoid or maybe the starter. If it clicks in the steering column, then it might be the switch.

Turn the headlights on. When you try to start it, do the lights dim? If yes, the ignition switch is probably working and it is probably the battery, starter or starter solenoid.

On my 1990, the starter solenoid is mounted to the starter and they are sold together. I think earlier ones might have the starter solenoid on the firewall, like old Fords.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
When you say it clicks, does it click in the steering column from turning the key, or does it click under the engine from the starter solenoid or starter?

If it is clicking under the engine, then it is either the battery or the starter solenoid or maybe the starter. If it clicks in the steering column, then it might be the switch.

Turn the headlights on. When you try to start it, do the lights dim? If yes, the ignition switch is probably working and it is probably the battery, starter or starter solenoid.

On my 1990, the starter solenoid is mounted to the starter and they are sold together. I think earlier ones might have the starter solenoid on the firewall, like old Fords.
THIS!

And yes - the older ones have the starter solenoid on the firewall.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot the battery cables. It could be them too.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
max1010
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The battery and starter were both new last summer.
max1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where is the click coming from?

I had a cheap rebuilt starter go bad on mine in about 4 months.

I'd replace the battery cables first if they don't look new.
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where your key goes in is called the cylinder, on the top of the column behind the dash is the switch. Push the rod that goes into the switch and see how much movement you have. It's very possible that the switch may have slid out of position and is not making contact. The cylinder has to be replaced as well, you are just inviting trouble by not having a key.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.