Starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starting issues

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
bjplunkdubois
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starting issues

1989 4 cyl Wrangler Manual trans

Just got this beast and there were no problems at first. Now it wont always start.

When the key is turned there is a distinctive click which of course makes me think its the starter. Here is the jam i am in. When this happens there is also no battery power for the lights. Oh and I discovered the negative battery terminal had half melted. so yea.

I plan on taking the starter apart tonight and cleaning it out, hoping that works as funds are short.

Also replacing both battery terminals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bjplunkdubois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
bjplunkdubois
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I went out and got a new starter, disconnected negative terminal and got under there for the swap. I then discovered I didnt have the correct sockets for the job. So I said screw it and disconnected the power to the starter and wire brushed it a bit. hooked it back up and first try = start. Still plan on replacing the starter with the new one (the old one looks like it was dug up on an expedition.) Hopefully this is the end of the issue, but something tells me im wrong...
bjplunkdubois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.