starting 350 swap... couple questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starting 350 swap... couple questions.

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
nelly97tj

starting 350 swap... couple questions.

well, im am gearing up for a pretty big swap. my father inlaw wants me to put a small block chevy in his 91 yj. so me being the nice guy that i am said, sure. iv owned a cj,zj,wj, and tj. never had a yj. so i did my homework. his yj has the i4 infront of an ax5. so, i think im gonna get a used ax15. use the np231 thats already there. and find a chevy 350 to put infront of everything. does this sound like a good plan so far? o, ive never done an engine swap with fuel injection before. wires, wires, wires, aahhh! so what year truck should my donor be? what all should i pull from it? to make things simplest? are there any really good write ups on this? thanks for the help. Josh

nelly97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used on out of a 93 pick up that uses TBI pretty simple swap and lots of places make harness or rebuild the old. I would swap out the trans for a trans out of the same truck and probably the x box too. the drop is on same side and no need for adapters just new drive lines

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im starting up the same type of build, i just pulled my motor out of a 93 chevy truck. got the harness and computer too. i was originally thought about the 350/ax15 combo but im pretty sure im gonna go 350/nv3500 and probably a np241.
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
schwebel
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say skip the AX-15. I am piecing together a swap right now and am going to use a Chevy trans. If you use the AX-15 you will have to buy an adapter kit ($500+). If you use a Chevy trans you can use the front half of a NP231C from a Chevy and bolt it to the NP231J, and not use an adpter to the tranny.
schwebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwebel View Post
I'd say skip the AX-15. I am piecing together a swap right now and am going to use a Chevy trans. If you use the AX-15 you will have to buy an adapter kit ($500+). If you use a Chevy trans you can use the front half of a NP231C from a Chevy and bolt it to the NP231J, and not use an adpter to the tranny.
what trans are you gonna be running? and what part of ohio are you in?
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
nelly97tj

well my father inlaw is funding this so $$ is really not an issue. wouldnt it be easier to use the ax-15(bolt right up, stock location?) and the bellhousing adapter would be simple as well right? he doesnt plan on beating on this jeep, just some easier trails. thanks.
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the ax-15 is a good trans but behind a 350 might not perform as well as it would behind a 4.0. as far as bolting right up, a conversion flywheel, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate and clutch lines and i think a defferent MC are needed. if you went with a nv3500, its a chevy 5 speed that came stock on 90's chevy trucks. making a new skid plate/crossmember would not be too difficult and since a new one will be needed you might as well go belly up
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
nelly97tj

so, go with a chey tranny (nv3500) that bolts up to an np231 or an np241? which is better for this and why? what about the wirering? any diagrams out there? like i said, im not the best at that. im sure i'll just have to do some research but a diagram would be sweet! as far as shifter linkages go, just fab some up? o, are the nv3500's found in 1/2 ton trucks? thanks again.
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
schwebel
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbelman2009 View Post
what trans are you gonna be running? and what part of ohio are you in?
I'm looking for a NV3500, I live in the Kettering area.

As far as the wiring goes, it shouldn't be that bad even with an FI swap. You just have to make sure you get everything with the engine as far as sensors and wiring harness and ECU. The engine electronics are usually pretty self contained. You will need a diagram for the engine you have as I'm sure between the years things changed. I am going to use a carb'd engine with an HEI dist. It's only like a four wire hookup. Also don't forget the cooling system. From what I understand the stock system is not up to the task of cooling a v8.
schwebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Keep The 4 Cylinder Its A Better Engine For Simple Trails
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly97tj View Post
so, go with a chey tranny (nv3500) that bolts up to an np231 or an np241? which is better for this and why? what about the wirering? any diagrams out there? like i said, im not the best at that. im sure i'll just have to do some research but a diagram would be sweet! as far as shifter linkages go, just fab some up? o, are the nv3500's found in 1/2 ton trucks? thanks again.
the np241 is what comes stock on that tranny i believe. and i think someone else said something about combining the front half of a 241 with the back half of the 231, not quite sure about that tho. depending on the tcase either fab it up or it will be on the tranny already for the 241. when you go to get that motor just grab the harness and ecu with it. look for diagrams online and it should all be relatively simple. if thats not one of your strong points, someone said something about a premade harness for a 350 in a yj, i havent heard of that tho. the trannys will be in any chevy v8 with a 5 speed
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwebel View Post
If you use a Chevy trans you can use the front half of a NP231C from a Chevy and bolt it to the NP231J, and not use an adpter to the tranny.
i guess the 231 comes stock in a chevy too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.