Starter won't engage when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter won't engage when cold

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 11-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Dark_Horse
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Starter won't engage when cold

Ok guys I have read many threads on hard starts in cold weather but mine seems to be different.

The last couple days have gotten into the low 30's at night and when I go to start the Jeep in the morning it wont even crank. I have to turn the key on and off multiple times to get the starter to engage. After a few times you can hear the starter try to engage and then a couple more times it will engage and it starts right up.

I have checked the wiring and everything seems fine. It has only done it since the weather has gotten cold so I believe that has to be related.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Pull the starter off and inspect it. Get it bench tested that way you can see what it is doing. Bring it in first thing in the AM when it will be cold.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

^Do that, put it in the fridge if its not cold enough. I've had a starter not kick the gear out before and just spin. Hopefully checking it will determine the problem.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure your bat has enough CCA .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I would check the battery as well as the starter. Again, make sure both are cold-tested. My 4.2 starter would occasionally freeze up, but it was nothing a tap or two from a hammer would not solve. But man, it sucked getting under there int he cold to beat on the thing.
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Dark_Horse
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the battery checked already just in case I was good to go there. I will pull the starter and get it bench tested. Would it be possible for water to get into the starter and freeze? I have been through my fair share of deep water holes this year..lol
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
I had the battery checked already just in case I was good to go there. I will pull the starter and get it bench tested. Would it be possible for water to get into the starter and freeze? I have been through my fair share of deep water holes this year..lol
Yes it is possible for water to get in there and freeze. I have experienced this before. But first ensure your cables and connections are good. If so, try rapping the starter with a dead blow hammer. If she starts up, replace the starter. If this works, the brushes are likely worn out and the "jostling" from the hammer will allow good enough temporary contact for the starter to work.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a classic battery problem so check both the starter and battery
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.