Starter Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Woes

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
dimatrod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Starter Woes

Last wednesday I had my engine converted to 100% LPG system. Well, it turned out this passing week was also a heap full of bad luck. Thursday a girl running late to an exam crashed into my bumper+front part of the left fender (which rendered just a bent front fender). Friday my Jeep wouldn't start after going to the bank, and after 4 hours of diagnosing the problem, it turned out it was a burnt LPG fuse and a burnt ignition fuse (I'll tell you how I came across this later). Yesterday while running around doing errands, I lost my last keyfob for my Mercedes C180, and now I'll have to replace them for a huge amount of money.

Alright, so on to the problem. Friday, I had a friend tow me back to my house, but he couldn't push my jeep up a little hill that takes it to a garage, so we just left it outside in the curb. I didn't feel safe leaving my Jeep outside, so I did a really stupid thing: crank the jeep up the hill while supplying power to it with my Merc. Just before reaching the end of the hill, the starter stopped cranking, it just have a HUGE spark at the negative battery post every time I cranked, so I saw that as a sign and waited for my father to help me push it in with his truck pushing in reverse.

So when I changed the fuses, the LPG system was working once again, but the starter still wouldn't move. I removed it, and jumped the positive post to the post with the braided wire going to the starter motor, and the motor moved (sounding like a normal electric motor). When I jumped the positive post to the post going to the ignition switch, I just had a HUGE spark and nothing really moved (I didn't dare try more as this could be damaging the starter).

Now, after having a horrible week, I can't afford purchasing a new starter motor. My diagnosis leads me to believe the solenoid is the problem, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it, or could it be the ignition switch which could be going bad (I changed the ignition lock a year ago, but I'm not sure it could be also related).

Fake edit: What does the solenoid do, exactly? Does it engage the starter gear, as in, it moves it outward so it turns the flywheel?

dimatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like you melted the wire and not the solenoid. Check the wire where all the sparks your describing are coming from and I'd be willing to bet that there is a break/melted area in it. Then replace it if you find what Im suspecting.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
dimatrod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
sounds like you melted the wire and not the solenoid. Check the wire where all the sparks your describing are coming from and I'd be willing to bet that there is a break/melted area in it. Then replace it if you find what Im suspecting.
Right now, the starter motor is completely detached from the YJ. I was testing it from a charged external car battery. The wire going to the negative battery post on the YJ is fine, the ignition switch->starter solenoid wire DID break as I was carefully removing the starter, but would this really be the reason why it isn't working? When I got the huge spark (while testing the starter by itself), I was just jumping from the positive post in the solenoid to the ignition switch post (in the solenoid).

If it's as simple as this, then I assume I just have to solder a new "wire head/loop" (don't know the term in english) and that would be all?
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimatrod View Post
If it's as simple as this, then I assume I just have to solder a new "wire head/loop" (don't know the term in english) and that would be all?
yes

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
dimatrod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
yes
Alright, I cleaned all the contacts up, soldered a new hook to the ignition switch->solenoid pole wire, and tightened the "negative" connection to the battery (was hand tight for some reason...I even pulled the cable easily by hand). I'm sending in the starter for a check-up regardless, as I think I might have put a lot of stress on it the other day, but hopefully I'll have it up and running tomorrow in the afternoon ! Thank you very much, I'll post back how everything goes tomorrow!
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
dimatrod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE/SOLUTION:

It wasn't the cable, and the starter solenoid was fried. After installing the starter back, it still wouldn't turn on (no spark). So I replaced the coil, and it still wouldn't give spark. I was between the ignition switch or module (ICM), and luckily a friend had an extra MSD he thought was fried. We installed it, and it worked perfectly. I also rewired the engine cab a bit so it now looks cleaner.

So for people having similar symptoms in the future: look at your ICM. Mine seemed ok, but it turned out that replacing it fixed all my problems.

Thanks forum member Fernando for helping me and giving me his MSD, and for Mark for his time!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.