JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   starter and solenoid question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/starter-solenoid-question-1214206/)

360yj1989 05-14-2011 03:57 PM

starter and solenoid question

I'm having a bit of trouble out of my 89 again. crank the key over and you get the common buzzing from the solenoid, but the engine doesn't turn over. I've used the search on here and pretty much figured out that I'm going to need a new starter, but my question is what the heck keeps killing my starters? When I bought the jeep it needed a new one so I got a cheap one from auto zone, put it in, and it worked fine for about four months and died. just a buzzing noise from the solenoid. Used the warranty and got a new one, now 8 months later my new one is doing the same thing. Is it just because I bought a low end one that they are going bad so quickly? I would have thought that even a cheap one would last longer that 6 - 8 months, especially considering that I only drive the jeep once or twice a week. The jeep has an amc 360 in it and it seems like it was built up a bit. should I just break down and get a high performance starter?

TheNewbie 05-14-2011 04:20 PM

Maybe you just got a bad one. I'd give it one more try. If that one goes out in another 8 months then I'd think about something else. But a starter is really easy to change, and if you can get a free replacement I'd just do that to be honest.

360yj1989 05-14-2011 05:49 PM

I'm a month past my one year warranty so if i need a new one it's gotta come out of my pocket. Apparently the warranty starts when you buy it initially and if you get a replacement it does not start over. This was the second new starter I've put in it in the past year so i doubt i just got a bad one. Im wondering if i just need to get a high performance starter or if something is wrong with the jeep causing it to eat starters. I've looked at the fly wheel and it looks good and is not loose. The only thing i noticed was a very small spot on one of the teeth that looked like the bendix might have hit it.

TheNewbie 05-14-2011 05:59 PM

Usually when I've seen something eat a starter it's more like it quits turning part of the time because of a missing flywheel tooth or something like that. I'm not aware of anything that could kill a solenoid on a regular basis.

On any vehicle, I like to get the cheapest starter that comes with a lifetime guarantee. That goes for all parts actually.

monkeyhouse 05-14-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360yj1989 (Post 11541621)
I'm a month past my one year warranty so if i need a new one it's gotta come out of my pocket. Apparently the warranty starts when you buy it initially and if you get a replacement it does not start over. This was the second new starter I've put in it in the past year so i doubt i just got a bad one. Im wondering if i just need to get a high performance starter or if something is wrong with the jeep causing it to eat starters. I've looked at the fly wheel and it looks good and is not loose. The only thing i noticed was a very small spot on one of the teeth that looked like the bendix might have hit it.

Well, I have heard plenty of people warn against getting parts like starters from places like advance and autozone, so I would tend to think yes, it's very possibly because of low quality parts and I have heard of people having to do returns as often as you mentioned and many more after. One thing I don't get though is that warranty, that is not how a warranty works, a new part is warranted from when it is bought, not from when the original part is bought unless you bought some extended warranty possibly? I could be wrong as these things tend to vary by state, but that just doesn't sound right to me. Also, keep in mind that lifetime warranty has very little to do with lifetime; each state has it's own definition of lifetime, here in maryland, I believe it is ten years...go figure, lol.

ptwhaler 05-15-2011 01:46 AM

I could just be lucky, but I have never had any problems with the parts I get from AutoZone. Years ago I had an old chevy truck and the starter at Napa was $40 more and had a 90 day warranty compared to the lifetime at AutoZone. I was broke so went with the cheaper one and it lasted almost 4 years. AutoZone replaced it no questions asked. Right now I am a fan of AutoZone because they give me free shipping to my APO address overseas, just wish Quadratec and some of the other places would do that.

Indyabn 05-15-2011 05:35 AM

I had my original starter go out in my 91 yj and put a cheap one in from advance. It lasted 6 weeks, and locked up. Turned it in under warranty and got another one. This time I shimmed it out about 1/8" not sure that's what killed the other one but it sounds and cranks much better shimmed

monkeyhouse 05-15-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptwhaler (Post 11543302)
I could just be lucky, but I have never had any problems with the parts I get from AutoZone. Years ago I had an old chevy truck and the starter at Napa was $40 more and had a 90 day warranty compared to the lifetime at AutoZone. I was broke so went with the cheaper one and it lasted almost 4 years. AutoZone replaced it no questions asked. Right now I am a fan of AutoZone because they give me free shipping to my APO address overseas, just wish Quadratec and some of the other places would do that.

you may be right, I can't speak from experience, just from what I've read on this forum.

360yj1989 05-15-2011 08:42 AM

As far as the warranty goes, i only actually paid for one starter about 13 months ago. that one only lasted 4-5 months and i got a new one with my one year warranty. that one lasted another 8 months, just outside the original one year warranty, so now I'm going to have to buy a new one. My question is do I need a high performance starter or should I just get another one from a parts store, auto zone, advanced auto, etc, with a lifetime warranty? the motor has been built up some but my problem is that i don't know how much. I know it has an upgraded cam, intake, headers, carb, and so on but I have no idea what the compression is.

The time now is 10:32 AM.