Starter? Solenoid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter? Solenoid?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 08-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
z71offroader

Starter? Solenoid?

every so often my jeep wont crank, but if i go hit the starter a few times she will.

this started early this summer probably in June. it started doing it more and more. so i replaced the solenoid and it fixed it. this month it started doing it again.....what is killing my solenoid? any ideas on this would be great!

Thanks guys!

93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

replace the starter.... autozone starters suck, or at least mine does... i get a new one under warranty every year....

carquest seems to be decent.... don't know about advance auto/partsamerica.com though....
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Installed/had several advanced starters; they work great. Only one bad one but it still works (sometimes )

Everything from Autozone sucks - to the max. Buuuut they do have a lifetime warranty but I don't think its worth replacing it once a year. Now, I would never just replace the solenoid, just replace both and see what happens. Also besure you wire is good. IMO, there could be too much current going through your wire causing the solenoid to burn out.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
z71offroader

so yall think the starter is killing the solenoid? heard anything about oreilly starters?
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

possible...

My question is, how come you just replaced the solenoid?
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try bypassing the solenoid and see if it starts. If you still have the same problem, then replace the starter....
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
z71offroader

i only replaced the solenoid becuase i thought that was the only problem and once i replaced it, it was. but now since its starting to do it again im thinking its something else.

Unread 08-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Greg Phillips
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just replaced my starter with one from autozone...lifetime warranty...$85.00 for the starter and solenoid...The solenoid by itself was like $80.00...Go Figure!!!
Unread 08-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
z71offroader

my solenoid was only like 15$. is there some sort of an upgraded starter i can get instead of the stock replacement?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.