Starter removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter removal

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Bigverv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Starter removal

Okay guys, frustration level is maxed out right now so I have walked away from it for a bit.

These stupid "external torx" bolts on the starter, any tricks for removal? I bought this set of wrenches, and the 7/16" stripped over it:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc-...p-00914018000P

Figuring it might be metric and realizing that I was going to need a socket for the bolt closer to the oil pan anyway, I went and blew money on these sockets, and they still skipped/stripped, when trying both metric and SAE:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-19pc-...p-00931088000P

at this point, I don't know how many more times I can get away with stripping the tip of the bolt before I need professional assistance. I am in Italy where good tools are hard to come by out in town, and on base the selection is limited. I am lucky to have found the tools that I bought for this.

Is this a torch-heat or PB plaster thing? I have a set of the "bolt outs" but they destroy everything you put them on and I am thinking I will be needing to be reusing theses bolts. New ones, again, will be hard to come by.

Not sure what the hell was so bad about a regular hex head that they couldn't use those, but whatever. I need to get these out so I can get a new starter in.

Please help.

Bigverv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Vice Grips might do it.

Other than that I have hammered a too-small external torx on and done it before. Partly the heavy hits while driving the socket on probably loosens stuff up with the impacts.

I grease up the threads really heavy before reinstalling.

You can also weld a big nut on if they are too bad to drive a socket on.

My current YJ ain't too bad cuz the rocker cover gasket keeps the starter well bathed in oil LOL
Unread 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Torch it if you have tried that many times. Do the hammer trick like Fish said. Remove bolt and throw it as far as you can and get a Hex head to replace it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Neither link you posted were for external torx.

Heres a sears link for you http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc-...p-00934570000P

If you buy an external torx socket set you should have no problem, that is, if you didnt strip it too much.

Once theyre out, you can replace them with a hex head. I found some in the help section at the parts store
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely use real torx sockets, not universal! I got a good full set of external and internal torx wrenches on amazon (I assume they ship to the little known country of Italy). They are not as nice as the craftsman linked above, but you get the full set: http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-E-Torx...torque+sockets

spare no expense on PB blaster!

Also, torch heat can't hurt. I don't have oxy-acetylene (just low temp propane), so I find it works best for me if I cycle the heat 3 or 4 times. Heat the bolt to as hot as you can get it (if you have propane only), let it cool, pb blaster, tap with hammer, repeat. That should crush the rust on the threads to pieces. if you have oxy-acetylene then just make sure you don't turn it to liquid.

Invest in anti-seize grease so it never happens again!

A lot of vehicles are requiring torx now so it is a good investment. Don't think of it as losing money... think of it as saving slightly less money compared to going to a real mechanic.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No kidding, Torx bits (internal or external) are the one tool you should never skimp on. That being said, I have had good luck using Craftsman universal sockets. But, as its been posted, you will be better off buying a good set of Torx bits for the bolt. Working on Jeeps becomes infinitely easier once you have the right tools!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
1320yj

There is no such thing as UNIVERSAL sockets or wrenches. If they fit both they don't fit either right.
Torx sockets both internal and external and tamper proof are very specific nothing else will work properly.
Spend the money and buy quality sockets cheap ones will only round out the fasteners causing more grief than if you would have spent a few more bucks. After all you have a Jeep you will be using them a lot in the future.
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj View Post
There is no such thing as UNIVERSAL sockets or wrenches. If they fit both they don't fit either right.
Torx sockets both internal and external and tamper proof are very specific nothing else will work properly.
Spend the money and buy quality sockets cheap ones will only round out the fasteners causing more grief than if you would have spent a few more bucks. After all you have a Jeep you will be using them a lot in the future.
I beg to differ there is one universal wrench. It is a Crescent Wrench. Sorry to correct you. LOL

Anyway ditto on what 1320 says. Buy a good set of metric and SAE wrenches and try not to bust your knuckles. Although true some Metric sizes are the same as SAE you do run the risk of rounding the nuts and bolts experimenting.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Bigverv
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input y'all. Skimping on the tools wasn't my intention, just got the closest thing that was available, since we have limited selection. I'll get either the craftsman or amazon set online and just wait a bit till they get here, so it can be done right. That means I am on Jeep time-out for another couple of weeks!
Bigverv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can always bump start!

You're going to replace the starter anyway... So see if hitting it with a hammer gets it operational enough to drive your jeep
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.