starter relay melting wires??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starter relay melting wires???

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
t_rexx70

starter relay melting wires???

I've got an 88 wrangler that killed on me today..wouldn't restart...smelled electrical short smell. Found wires coming out of the starter relay that were melted and several others were hot as hell. I'm replacing it tomorrow, but has anyone else had this problem. I'm assuming that the part is just bad/worn out. It's only 20 years old so go figure. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and why a fuse didn't prevent this from happening????

[COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]88YJ 4.2l, weber 32/36, nuttered, 4" super lift, TFI, stock 30 and 35 pos axles alloy 4.10's, lockrights, posilocked, 33 X 12.50 Mudbrutes[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
t_rexx70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The '88s have fusable links (green on mine) at the starter relay. Those take the place of fuses. Something is shorting out if those are getting hot and melting.
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
dunno513

resistance = heat.

Replace it and drive on.

Fuses only protect from electrical surges.

make sure all connections are clean and tight. loose connections can create the initial resistance, as can deteriorated wire.
dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
t_rexx70

Thanks guys....it is definitely the starter relay....at some point it went out causing the battery to be overcharged by the alternator which caused too much electricity. Also, the dimwit that owned the vehicle before me used freakin duct tape to join some of the wires. I believe this was definitely a contributing factor to the heat. So in the end it was multiple things. Just glad I found it out before I was cruising down the interstate doing 70 and the damned thing just died. God was watching over me this go around.......
[COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]88YJ 4.2l, weber 32/36, nuttered, 4" super lift, TFI, stock 30 and 35 pos axles alloy 4.10's, lockrights, posilocked, 33 X 12.50 Mudbrutes[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
t_rexx70

Thanks for the info. on the fuseable link too. I figured that is what it was but you confirmed that for me. I'm going to cut out all the bad wires and replace and put new fuseable links on the proper ones. Those starter relays are kinda hard to come by. O'reilly's had to order it. Carquest had them but cost $20 more. Just FYI in case someone needs one in the future. I believe it has been causing my electrical system to do weird things. Hopefully this will straighten some of that out. Looking at doing all new wires down the road......Probably take a year off of my life in the process
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you haven't already ordered one, I've got an extra starter relay laying in my shop.
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
t_rexx70

Man I really appreciate that...I ordered it yesterday and I'm picking it up in the morning. That way too I'll have a warranty...but I really do appreciate the offer. You better hold on to it anyway. You never know if you might need it. Have you ever had to change your's so far??
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had to change the whole wiring harness because I burt one wire that melted several others. I have an '87 so the relay is a little different than the one I got with the new harness.
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

the starter relay has nothing to do with your charging system. the voltage regulator is built into your alternator most likely. only thing the starter relay coudl do is prohibit the alternator from charging anything if you had a bad connection at that big lug on top of the relay.

it's a dealer available part for about $35, but it's pretty universal. i got one on eBay for a buick for about $7 shipped if i remember right... brand new in the box.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
t_rexx70

Well I'll tell ya like this big and broke...it was melting wires...I changed it and no more melting wires....don't know what else to say homey....
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

melting wires doesn't mean overcharging "homey"

melting wires means you have a short.

glad you got it fixed. hopefully you've learned how the starter relay works and fully understand what fusible links are and how they function to protect the rest of your wiring.....

-Erik
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

erik my homey...
there is a time to give up, and me feels like this is the time.....so peace out homey and chill......

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing I have to add for da homies,,,,is that dimwit that did the duct tape thing was the factory.

Believe it or not????
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
t_rexx70

erik me homey...the starter relay was shorted on the inside....I know you are an ace mechanic and everything but it was actually opened and the short was on the inside...and the fuseable links were in place....so that's the deal homey...peace out!
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
t_rexx70

No **** on the duct tape!!!! That came from the factory like that!!!!! Fa Sho dimwits!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.