Starter Relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Relay

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Starter Relay

Hey everyone.. I need some help with my wiring.
Since I got this jeep I have had a problem with it not wanting to start sometimes. I replaced the starter and it seemed to not have any problems for the short time I drove it until I decided to do the nutter. It had an intermitant problem where the jeep would loose ALL power for a while then somehow be just fine randomly. I kinda though it was in the key switch.

I figured I would get to that but then I wanted to do a nutter becuae it was running like crap and it did start 95% of the time just fine.
I guessed pulling and wiggling wires some I might have knocked one loose so I started looking agian at the starter relay on the firewall.. BINGO..

I found a wire Green with white striped that had a plug end on it like that would plug into a post on the relay.. BUT.. there was no open place for it..
Then I also noticed a wire that had been stripped just hanging next to it..
I looked and it was the right length so I pushed it into the female connector on that green and white stripped wire.. When I did this the key switch buzzer sounded.. BINGO I thought..

So I plug them together.. it fires right up ... I drive.. it runs great.. get home adjust the carb and stall it out when I parked.. being lazy and tired I just went to bed.... the next day I got in and the battery was dead.. I though dang.. maybe I will need a kill switch to use... but for the time being I wasn't worried about it so I decided to go on a ride.. got back and tried to turn off the key.. nothing... the damn thing kept running .. I had to go out and pull the wires apart which it quickly stopped and let out a backfire. Now... I can hook the wires back together and the jeep just spins and spins it wont start.

Reguardless if that is the problem I want to wire it correctly. I have nuttered the jeep 89 YJ automatic 4.2L but other then that everything is pretty much original.

Is there a diagram other than this one?
http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl346lib.htm

I'd like to find one that has wire diagram on it with the color of wires going to it?

The jeep has a new starter and new battery in it.. I want to get this thing going... thanks for all your help.

DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

A few links that might help:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-help-starter-relay-wiring-761373/
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

okay the wire that ahd been stripped back and not going to anything was a fusable link....

The other wire I still have no idea what it went too.. it is green with white
and goes into the main waire loom.. Every post on my starter relay has a wire going to it already.

The coil has a green with white tracer on it as well but looks to be a differn't gauge wire.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAltman3 View Post
okay the wire that ahd been stripped back and not going to anything was a fusable link....

The other wire I still have no idea what it went too.. it is green with white
and goes into the main waire loom.. Every post on my starter relay has a wire going to it already.

The coil has a green with white tracer on it as well but looks to be a differn't gauge wire.
I can look in the am for you on mine.
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

any luck Rusty?
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
any luck Rusty?
Crap will look in a bit for ya.
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like black w/ white tracer on bottom right( nutral safety switch?)... Looks like I have some fuselinks that come from one red wire and turns into green going to the post, also the post has a wire going to positive on the batt.

The middle terminal is the starter solenoid the bottom left has a solid green going into the main loom.. I think this is ground.

I am out of spades but have a green with white tracer on it left to be plugged into something but I have no available plugs left. I need to know what that wire is.

I checked the ignition fuse and it isn't blown. The starter turns just fine with the key. The tach moves while you turn the key. I tried to check spark on a plug but not too confident I am getting spark.

I did a nutter and it ran fine until I went to cut it off and it wouldn't cut off so I stalled it out... I was able to start it a dozen times after that and even set the timing..

I have turned the dizzy a litle both ways to try to get it to start but it doesn't even try to ignite.

I am lost.

I went back over my wires I did with the nutter the connection is solid.
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Looks like black w/ white tracer on bottom right( nutral safety switch?)... Looks like I have some fuselinks that come from one red wire and turns into green going to the post, also the post has a wire going to positive on the batt.

The middle terminal is the starter solenoid the bottom left has a solid green going into the main loom.. I think this is ground.

I am out of spades but have a green with white tracer on it left to be plugged into something but I have no available plugs left. I need to know what that wire is.

I checked the ignition fuse and it isn't blown. The starter turns just fine with the key. The tach moves while you turn the key. I tried to check spark on a plug but not too confident I am getting spark.

I did a nutter and it ran fine until I went to cut it off and it wouldn't cut off so I stalled it out... I was able to start it a dozen times after that and even set the timing..

I have turned the dizzy a litle both ways to try to get it to start but it doesn't even try to ignite.

I am lost.

I went back over my wires I did with the nutter the connection is solid.
Going out right now to check mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.