starter relay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starter relay?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 11-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
vball1socr4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

starter relay?

i recently just got a new starter b/c somehow a bolt head broke off and the starter was just hanging... anyways i got a new starter about 3 weeks ago and everything was fine... i started my jeep this morning and then forgot i needed to get another book for my class and when i came back out i couldnt get it to start... i put the key in and the buzzer goes off and everything electrical in the jeep works like lights and stuff... i turn the key forward and all it does is gives me a click from under the hood... so anyways it was time for a new battery so i went and got one of those today... still nothing... so i took the starter off of the bellhousing and turned the key and the starter did nothing... but this is a new starter could it be the relay? i have no idea where it would be or what to look for so any help would be great... thanks

vball1socr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
boatingncst8fan

Did your new starter not come with a solenoid? Usually they do...at least the one I bought from Advance Auto did.
Unread 11-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
paintguy

I would start by bringing the starter back and swapping it with another one instead of starting to diagnose the prob as something else -- the chances the next one you get is bad (if the one you have now is bad) is slim to none. I have had new starters that were bad before right out of the box.
Good luck and keep us posted!
paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
vball1socr4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

allrigth well i took the starter off and bench tested it and it works fine... it engages and everything... i ptu it back in and hooked it up and stuff and now it actually sounds like it is engaging... but now the problem is that the motor isnt turning over... i get the loud click click click and the lights dimming and stuff... so the starter is engaging now... but now why wont the motor turn over? i have it in neutral and the TC in neutral also... i tried it in 2HI and the tranny in neutral but got the same thing... nothing...
Unread 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
YJ-Mule

Try turning the motor over by hand, use a long ratchet/bar with a big socket on the crank bolt. See if it is seized.

If the motor turns over by hand, try replacing your battery cables.

Just because you just bought the starter doesnt mean it isnt bad. Most of the ones from the auto store are rebuilt.

Check the bendix gear on the starter see if it has any missing teeth, or can spin freely on the shaft. You can also try just replacing it, it may be bad internally.

Hook up a volt meter to the battery, see if you have 12v. Have a friend watch it when you are cranking the starter. (or use long electrical leads). If it falls below 8v or so I would say there is an issue with the battery. I know, I know, you just replaced it. The battery should go below 9.5 volts or so when starting the motor.

Check the flywheel for missing teeth as well. I doubt this is it, because you said it enguages, but couldn't hurt.
[URL]http://www.rawsoftware.com/YJ-Mule/[/URL]
YJ-Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
vball1socr4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

allright i got a long ratchet and put it on the crank bolt (the bottom on in the center has a pulyl on it) i think thats the one... and it turned

i tested the starter and it works so thats not it...

when i tested the starter i messed around with it to see if it would even come out to engage and it did before i tested it... it also moves and turns smoothly....

ill have to check the flywheel...

but when i try to start it it doesnt sound liek the starter is sdpinning freely so i think the flywheel is allright...

and ill have to check my connections... but if the starter is making the noice shouldnt my connections be good? or could a semi faulty connection make it not fully engage?
Unread 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
dcafaro

If the starter is engaging the store isn't going to exchange anything. They'll do the same thing and say it's fine. For what the relay cosst you may as well change it out. I would take a pic of how the wires are mounted so you get them back in the same order. It is either under or to the side of the 4wd indicator switch next to the battery. You'll know you have the right part if there is a heavier red wire running south to the starter.
dcafaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
vball1socr4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well i know the starter works b/c i bench tested it and ti worked... now that it is on the jeep is the loud click click click noise mean the starter isnt engaging or the relay is bad?

i know off the motor the starter engages and spins... but now that its on is the relay the thing that is making the loud clicking noise?
Unread 11-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
wolf3902

Have you switched the relay with another one? They're in the power distribution box under the hood. Same part numbers for the horn and fuel pump, etc.
Try swaping two of them and see.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #10
dcafaro

did you shim the starter? they sometimes need to be shimmed and they should have been included with the starter. THe gear can sometimes thrust too far in. ALso what year vehcile are we talking about here? I didn't see it listed, this will make a big difference on where your relay is. IF it's a 4.2 there is no power distribution block under the hood. If it's a 91 ( I thnk or later) then your realy is not where I had originall mentioned.
dcafaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #11
vball1socr4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i have an 88 4.2 ba10/5 the starter didnt come with any shims and from what i remember the old one didnt have any shims either... someone suggested just trying new battery terminals that they thought it sounded like it wasnt getting enough or a good connection... i will have to do that tomorrow...
Unread 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #12
boatingncst8fan

Could be a bad ground. Remove all your battery cables and starter and battery grounding connections and clean them good and reinstall.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.